Bk insert How low can you go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

black smoke signals

Feeling the Heat
Nov 6, 2016
Wyoming Colorado
Full load mix Elm Spruce and touch of ponderosa Stove top 400 just to the right of cat. T/stat 4oclock and cat temperature 4oclock fan speed on low. I have a ceiling fan 6ft from insert set on low with winds at 20-30 Mph outside temperature of 30. Not trying to set any record here just need to know How low can your insert T/stat go before the cat stalls?

Full load mix Elm Spruce and touch of ponderosa Stove top 400 just to the right of cat. T/stat 4oclock and cat temperature 4oclock fan speed on low. I have a ceiling fan 6ft from insert set on low with winds at 20-30 Mph outside temperature of 30. Not trying to set any record here just need to know How low can your insert T/stat go before the cat stalls?
Correction 5oclock

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had a 24+ hour burn on fir!

Typically I get 8-15 on a full load. I always run it at the lowest setting. We have limited wood and a furnace as a backup, so I like to keep the wood going as long as possible.

Never stalls unless it gets low on coals and I don’t rake them to the front.

I’ve had a 24+ hour burn on fir!

Typically I get 8-15 on a full load. I always run it at the lowest setting. We have limited wood and a furnace as a backup, so I like to keep the wood going as long as possible.

Never stalls unless it gets low on coals and I don’t rake them to the front.
On your dial (t/stat) what setting on your dial is the lowest most of the time? Fully closed?

Yes, fully closed, as far as it turns. Like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
With full load stove top temp I'm guessing say 450 left or right from the cat and cat cruising 3-5 o'clock fan on or off? Does your stove top maintain say 450 stove top all night? Thanks for the reply

By accident I asked my son to turn down my stove he went all the way closed to low setting I found a new setting that I have been avoiding because of cat stall on my way turning down t/stat.

I don’t know temperature. I just have the thermometer that shows active or not.

I’ve only had it stall maybe 1-2 times otherwise it just stays active until the wood runs out.

Reactions: Highbeam
My bad i always though turning dial all the way shut was off till my son said it reads low not off Dad. Finally I now know why there is a hole in the t/stat flapper live and learn thanks again!