Biomass furnace burning too high? Can I control it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

denno

Jan 13, 2015
Schoharie County, NY
Greetings.
It's one of the subjects I've approached before. It's a "Superior" furnace, and I'm pretty sure the tiny company is gone, so nowhere there to turn.
If I can scare up my camera I'll put up a pic, but essentially the flame comes up wildly out of the burn pot, and eventually puts a hole in the metal shield above it. Kind of looks out of control.
Someone observed from a non-lit pic that the shield seems located lower above the pot than it might be. Someone also remarked that a cast-iron griddle is a good metal shield, which I have not tried yet.
There are no fine controls on this furnace.
I wonder if my corn/pellet mix could control the height of flame?
I wonder if I can insert a control (rheostat) in the system to slow down the fuel feed?
Or let it be?
Or what?

Thanks,
denno