Big maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
In July 2023 I started an experiment where I used the x-27 to create big squarish splits of a red maple tree from my yard. They are 18" long and 8-10" on a side.

I want to burn them big so I have to assess whether they are dry enough based on weight, and my normal three years might not be sufficient, I thought.

I put them in my "emergency shed" on the driveway (contains quick drying wood for winters when my bay in the big shed is outlasted by winter). The driveway gets hot, and the wood sees afternoon sun (facing West) - though it's in the shade in winter.

I measured the moisture content upon splitting and weighed them.

Log number, measured moisture content, weight, and calculated weight for a mc of 20 PCT.

Log 1, 38 pct mc, 41 lbs (20 pct =30.5 lbs)
Log 2, 38 pct, 41 lbs, (20 pct =30.5 lbs)
Log 3, 38 pct, 30 lbs, (20 pct = 22.3 lbs)
Log 4, 38 pct, 37.5 lbs, (20 pct =28 lbs)

Today I reweighed them.

Log 1, 30.4 lbs
Log 2, 31.8 lbs
Log 3, 23 lbs
Log 4, 28.4 lbs

That means (if my calculations last year were done right; I didn't recheck them now) they are already 21 PCT or so... !
One year, for 9*9" splits!

That surprised me for splits this big.

They did develop many cracks though, so that may effectively decrease the size one should consider for the drying time...?

I won't burn them this winter as I have almost only oak available for this winter. Next winter it's less BTUs in the shed as I have some sassafras, and other lighter wood in that bay. I'll add these to the menu then.

The pic is from last year.

Big maple

Apparently. I thought it would take longer.
Apart from the bit of locust in that pic the rest is silver maple.

That is how I split big box elder if I can get straight splits out of it. Big blocks of the light wood burn well in my Summit, and I can even get some weak coaling from it that way. Small splits of box elder or other light woods burn too hot and fast.

I did the same with some juniper (red cedar) and it burned great.

Good to see how quick silver maple can dry. I have some that I put up on top of a breezy sunny hill this spring and Ill be starting a solar kiln in the next couple of weeks so here's hoping it dries out nice. I also split it a bit smaller than that.

To be clear, this was red maple (so I guess the finding would also apply to silver maple, but ...)

Reactions: Wisco Shepherd
This is how they look now (cracks)

Big maple