Big deal? Or not a big deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 26, 2013
Minnesota
I just cleaned out my chimney in prep for the heating season, and saw a crack inside my fireplace insert. Is this in some way dangerous? I don't think it's a big deal but thought I'd ask the experts, just in case

Attachments

• Big deal?  Or not a big deal?
    IMG_20201025_154922624.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 256
    IMG_20201025_154929441.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 255
    IMG_20201025_154939702.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 241
Not sure about the crack but that is a nice looking surround/hearth. What is the size across? 1925 house? I'll eat my hat if that is a new house. Brick and tile is a great combo.

Reactions: huauqui
Not qualified to give an opinion. But if it was mine I would use it. Cracks in fire bricks is common. But I would look into fixing it.

Thanks! The house was built in '97, we are not the original owners. When we moved in it, was just the fireplace -- we had the vermont castings merrimack insert installed and then my wife put up the tile. The insert is 32" wide, the fireplace is 54" wide, and the hearth is 99". Here's a pic from the install, and also the picture my wife took for her instagram thing. We, of course, move everything flammable away from the insert during the winter, when we burn pretty much 24/7

Attachments

DSC_1223.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 145
    IMG_6914.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 156
    IMG_20200916_104859_310.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
In my unprofessional opinion, I would not worry about it. If on the other hand the crack continues to propagate down through the brick below then its worth keeping a eye on it.

Reactions: IowaRSFBurner
Thanks! The house was built in '97, we are not the original owners. When we moved in it, was just the fireplace -- we had the vermont castings merrimack insert installed and then my wife put up the tile. The insert is 32" wide, the fireplace is 54" wide, and the hearth is 99". Here's a pic from the install, and also the picture my wife took for her instagram thing. We, of course, move everything flammable away from the insert during the winter, when we burn pretty much 24/7
Kudos to your wife adding the tile. Thinking about it now a raised hearth is more a modern concept from what I've seen. Maybe I'll just chew on some crow haha.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Did you put some staples across the crack?

Thanks all. The sides are hard, maybe stone?, I wasn't able to get a staple in it. But yeah, at this point I guess I'm not really worried, the walls are enclosed in the metal stove, which is sitting inside an outer brick fireplace, I can't really see anything dangerous about it. Cheers!