Big Blaze King load.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Red oak 4 years young,one lone piece of cherry,one split 11 inches and about 30 lbs in weight.
There ain't nothing burns like a BK,when you find Big Blaze King load. something better put me down for one. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.....

I got out of Wood Stove for heat, but only had Pine in Easter Washington. Never burned Oak, but got some Red Fir and lots of What I called White Pine. Best stuff was Cedar. Lots of that available if I wanted to go where they log it and get scraps. Got some once. It burns very nice. Just a shame to burn cedar for firewood.

Reactions: Slocum and Lone_Gun
I got out of Wood Stove for heat, but only had Pine in Easter Washington. Never burned Oak, but got some Red Fir and lots of What I called White Pine. Best stuff was Cedar. Lots of that available if I wanted to go where they log it and get scraps. Got some once. It burns very nice. Just a shame to burn cedar for firewood.

There are many trees I would never use for firewood, like Cedar. To me there are much better uses for most of wood people on this forum burn, especially stuff like oak. Coniferous trees grow faster and most aren't soight after for construction, furniture, etc. Our property is covered in spruce, with many dead standing trees. I forsee no need to cut live trees for firewood. However, we need to cut down several to have room for a garage, but I'm going to mill that stuff.

There are many trees I would never use for firewood, like Cedar. To me there are much better uses for most of wood people on this forum burn, especially stuff like oak. Coniferous trees grow faster and most aren't soight after for construction, furniture, etc. Our property is covered in spruce, with many dead standing trees. I forsee no need to cut live trees for firewood. However, we need to cut down several to have room for a garage, but I'm going to mill that stuff.
Cedar had lots of Rotton in the Center. They throw that away and burn in in Fall (slash pile). It's easy to get. I don't take trees unless GOD gives them to me. God's been too efficient. 2 Wind Storms in 2014, once in 100 years storms. One in 2015. I had lots of trees. Last snow storm took out 10 trees. Small ones that did not handle the load and snapped or fell over and uprooted. I bet good 1 Ton Pickup worth to give away this Summer after dry. Will de-limb and Buck up and stack and let it dry out and haul away to relative. I bet we had 80 trees down between 3 storms. I had guy log around house so no more smash thru roof (1 made hole). Might weed out some more for Safety. We got 75' Logging 3/4" wire with cat choker on it and hook. My work is cut out this spring with Fall/Winter cleanup. Alas can't burn it with Pellet Stove. Sure like not loading wood into stove. So easy the 40lb bags. https://www.westechrigging.com/logging-supplies.html

Cedar had lots of Rotton in the Center. They throw that away and burn in in Fall (slash pile). It's easy to get. I don't take trees unless GOD gives them to me. God's been too efficient. 2 Wind Storms in 2014, once in 100 years storms. One in 2015. I had lots of trees. Last snow storm took out 10 trees. Small ones that did not handle the load and snapped or fell over and uprooted. I bet good 1 Ton Pickup worth to give away this Summer after dry. Will delimb and Buckup and stack and let it dry out and haul away to relative. I bet we had 80 trees down between 3 storms. I had guy log around house so no more smash thru roof (1 made hole). Might weed out some more for Safety. We got 75' Logging 3/4" wire with cats tail on it and hook. My work is cut out this spring with Fall/Winter cleanup. Alas can't burn it with Pellet Stove. Sure like not loading wood into stove. So easy the 40lb bags.

We just bought a house with 25 acres, been here almost two months. The land has never been maintained, so we have a ton of work to do. I'll probably have firewood for many years!

Red oak 4 years young,one lone piece of cherry,one split 11 inches and about 30 lbs in weight.
There ain't nothing burns like a BK,when you find View attachment 236075 something better put me down for one. Just saying.

I'm about to finish up with my doug fir and into a whole lot of cherry. Not my usual BK chow. It burns very purple in the noncat.

Normal fill with the BK is 7-8 chunks, floor to ceiling tight. That's usually under 50# of wood given the low btu stuff we have.

Cedar had lots of Rotton in the Center. They throw that away and burn in in Fall (slash pile). It's easy to get. I don't take trees unless GOD gives them to me. God's been too efficient. 2 Wind Storms in 2014, once in 100 years storms. One in 2015. I had lots of trees. Last snow storm took out 10 trees. Small ones that did not handle the load and snapped or fell over and uprooted. I bet good 1 Ton Pickup worth to give away this Summer after dry. Will de-limb and Buck up and stack and let it dry out and haul away to relative. I bet we had 80 trees down between 3 storms. I had guy log around house so no more smash thru roof (1 made hole). Might weed out some more for Safety. We got 75' Logging 3/4" wire with cat choker on it and hook. My work is cut out this spring with Fall/Winter cleanup. Alas can't burn it with Pellet Stove. Sure like not loading wood into stove. So easy the 40lb bags. https://www.westechrigging.com/logging-supplies.html

I'm with you on that,Gods taken down about a dozen ash,several cherry,hard maple and a pig nut. I'll be busy all winter and into spring,at least 10 acres produces tons of firewood.

Reactions: Slocum and SpaceBus
The only thing I envy is the 4 year old Oak.
It's great,have plenty,tried to sell a couple cords only asked 300 cord ,people balked so i'm done. I'm having an Amish friend build a lean to on a concrete tpad 25x16,that oak will be put there this spring and last many years.Only top covered now,and 6 inches off ground ,not one bad piece.

Reactions: Slocum
Even after you take out the mill logs there is still lots of firewood. I almost never cut llivetrees for firewood. But I do cut up lots of tops left from logging on nearby properties. And I really don't bother with softwoods unless I have to cut it for some reason. Then I will burn it. Otherwise not enough BTUs to be worth my effort.

Even after you take out the mill logs there is still lots of firewood. I almost never cut llivetrees for firewood. But I do cut up lots of tops left from logging on nearby properties. And I really don't bother with softwoods unless I have to cut it for some reason. Then I will burn it. Otherwise not enough BTUs to be worth my effort.

I wish I could do the same, but it's just not in the cards. Fortunately we found several dead birch trees and maybe a Maple. It could be an ash, I'm no expert. It seems that most people on this latitude burn a lot of soft woods out of necessity. That's partly why I do it. My limited supply of hardwoods is reserved for overnight stuff. Otherwise the spruce and hemlock works great for us.

Fir is used for 2xs, pine is used for a lot of things too. I got some fir once. It's not half bad, just as good if not better than maple.

Fir is used for 2xs, pine is used for a lot of things too. I got some fir once. It's not half bad, just as good if not better than maple.

Spruce is also used for boards along with Douglas Fir. I should have been more specific.