Best wood stove fence for children?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have not but I have seen them done with regular fence/railing products. Depending on decor the black anodized Aluminum fences can be done well. Kids learn fast. One of ours first words were “hot hot”. I had more issues with bigger kids that want to get close to warm up and melt something to it. Remember how often you need to access the stage and how you be bringing wood in.

Reactions: Crummy
It doesn't really matter what type. Keep any system that is not pure metal outside of the clearance distance.

As long as it doesn't fall against the stove (again, distance, especially from the door/window of the stove), it keeps the kids out, and it doesn't hinder you to operate the stove (see above) it will be okay.

Most people though think it is not needed. Although I recognize that while toddler curiosity is not a big threat here (too hot to come close), for slightly older kids that might run around (literally) tripping and falling against the stove could be a real hazard.

A regular old toddler fence barrier.. the one you can turn into a pen, or block off a large area…. Works great for us.

I’ve got the 25’ or so folding pen deal but also had a huge hearth/brick work to go around too. Will probably have to make some adjustments as she gets older but it works for now. As others have said I’m more concerned about accidentally touching it from a fall than I am from walking up and touching it. (Or pushing toys up against it)
You can add as many sections on to it as needed to get the required clearance.

It doesn't really matter what type. Keep any system that is not pure metal outside of the clearance distance.

As long as it doesn't fall against the stove (again, distance, especially from the door/window of the stove), it keeps the kids out, and it doesn't hinder you to operate the stove (see above) it will be okay.

Most people though think it is not needed. Although I recognize that while toddler curiosity is not a big threat here (too hot to come close), for slightly older kids that might run around (literally) tripping and falling against the stove could be a real hazard.
This is my biggest concern. Bigger kids get into hyper mode, chasing each other or playing with that dog landing hands and side of face to stove.

Reactions: stoveliker