Best way to plug flue after stove removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdog

Dec 20, 2011
North Idaho
Well I will be selling my house this year, the realtor thinks that because my home already has a gas fireplace I should remove the wood stove before selling. Is there anyway I could remove the double wall up too the ceiling support box and plug it at the box? I would leave everything in place above the support box. What would I use to plug the flue? Pipe is 6 inch duravent double wall up too support box and triple wall above that. While it may not be the most economical to leave behind the components id rather not have to have the roof and drywall patched up. Any tips would be great and thanks in advance!

Hrmm. I can't pipe in about best way to plug the stove...but I would argue a few of her points depending on where you live. If you are in the burbs or a housing community with HOA's and you are one of a very few houses that burn with wood it might be prudent to remove the stove.

If you live a little out, or many of your neighbors are burning with wood, I would say that having the Stove in place but making sure the hearth and stove are "spruced" up would potentially be a highlight/selling point.

I am not a realtor so I am not going to say I know more, but for us personally we wanted to see houses with wood burning stoves already in place setup...

Would a 'T' cover do the trick? I just covered my unused for now 6" flue.

I would think a basic galvanized cap would work. Just measure the outside diameter of your 6" duravent double wall and buy the corresponding size cap. Probably an 8"...

Best way to plug flue after stove removal

That is why I tell people to call around to real estate peddlers to find good deals on a stove. The idiots always tell homeowners to pull them out.

That is why I tell people to call around to real estate peddlers to find good deals on a stove. The idiots always tell homeowners to pull them out.

Not around here ... it's actually a desired item and often mentioned in the listing or photograhed.

Not around here ... it's actually a desired item and often mentioned in the listing or photograhed.

Same here. I don't understand why a realtor would tell you to remove the stove. Only thing I can think of is that buyers would be concerned about higher insurance rates. We just got our updated insurance rates after installing our stove last month, it went up by a whopping $4 a month.

Maybe somehow in this day and age of there is always someone else is to blame, the reality companies feel it can be misconstrued as a liability against themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.