Best time to have chimney checked and cleaned? And advice for a professional.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

griam01

Jan 22, 2016
Upper Panhandle, WV
When does everyone have their chimney checked and cleaned? Spring after burning season or later fall before season?

Also where can I find a reliable, recommended professional to have everything checked and cleaned? I purchased my stove online and had it shipped so I don’t have a local dealer.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t wait until the fall. Many people do and it may be harder to find someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: griam01
When does everyone have their chimney checked and cleaned? Spring after burning season or later fall before season?

Also where can I find a reliable, recommended professional to have everything checked and cleaned? I purchased my stove online and had it shipped so I don’t have a local dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Me yearly before summer ends... then I brush it once every 2 months if you have brushes. ... I used to clean chimney for Carolina chimney sweep... but no longer in business. .. but every easy to do... and now you can get cameras in to look around for you ... you see creaking in brick call brick Masson. ..

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance.
It depends on several factors like the wood dryness, stove design, chimney design and location (interior or exterior) and the operator. If new to burning then once every cord of wood burned is a good starting point. If you have a modern clean burning stove and a good dry wood supply then the suggestion for spring is a good one. For certified sweeps try www.csia.org

Our chimney is 3 stories high and on a very steep roof so we don’t want to go up there ourselves.
I go to Lowe's buy the rods enough to clear the roof.. they are fiberglass rods
Go in from the front push them up one section at a time moving it up an down 5 time before connect the rod and so on.. most importantly have a strong shop vacuum on the whole time you do this... lay plastic out in front of stove or chimney and lay heavy cloth out to.. have fun..

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

If you want to do it yourself, take a look at the "SootEater" The rods are flexible enough and this is made for home owners to use without getting on the roof. It has a rotary head and you just connect the rods to a drill.