Best stove for burning piñon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Piñon burns extremely sappy and aggressively hot. I’m worried of fouling catalytics on new stoves and overheat problems. Local blaze king dealer advised against burning piñon because of cat issues. I love Pinon and have heaps so I will be burning. I’ve burnt Pinon in a Freedom insert with clay chimney with no problems for decades and in a old fisher not really any problems but could get spooky when loaded.. have a fisher sitting around I could use, but the new stoves seem nice and really like the glass doors.. don’t want to spend 4K on new stove and be bummed with fouling cats regularly. Anyone burn piñon in a blaze king?

Piñon burns extremely sappy and aggressively hot. I’m worried of fouling catalytics on new stoves and overheat problems. Local blaze king dealer advised against burning piñon because of cat issues. I love Pinon and have heaps so I will be burning. I’ve burnt Pinon in a Freedom insert with clay chimney with no problems for decades and in a old fisher not really any problems but could get spooky when loaded.. have a fisher sitting around I could use, but the new stoves seem nice and really like the glass doors.. don’t want to spend 4K on new stove and be bummed with fouling cats regularly. Anyone burn piñon in a blaze king?
If it's dried properly it will burn fine in any stove assuming it is installed and setup properly

Reactions: stoveliker
Ah, the wonderful Canon City pinon.
I bought a fair amount of it from a local Denver dealer the first winter I put in my stove and didn't have my stockpiles yet.
Burns so nice, beautiful flames, and very warm. Did wonderful in my PE Super 27.

^^^What BHOLLER said^^^
It's gotta be properly dried which I'm sure you know here in CO is not a problem.

Yes, if dried properly, any stove will be ok.

Regarding Blaze King, I recently got some pitch pine. The name is correct...
I asked if it was too much, and it's not. In fact secondary burn (cat or tube) is meant to deal with such smoke.

Pic shows sap drenched sections. (The darker stuff - all waxy and semitransparent from the sap).

You'll be happy with any modern stove (if properly installed, fed properly dry fuel which will be different from old pre-EPA stoves, and if sized correctly for your needs.

Best stove for burning piñon? Best stove for burning piñon?

I had one overfire burning a large sappy piece of long leaf pine that was dry. Make sure you draft is in spec and or you install a damper. I subsequently found two small air leaks. Might have made the difference in keeping temps down.

To me the choice of stoves comes down less to wood but more how will you use the stove and your availability to tend to it.

Enjoy!