Best Place to Purchase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CODwarzone

Dec 31, 2020
Minnesota
My guess is that this question has likely come up already, but honestly I haven't personally been able to track it down in the forum.

I'm looking to purchase the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 wood insert. My local shop has it but I am looking for the best price - even if it means waiting a month or two for shipping. When I asked this question related to the vent I was provided with some great resources, but wondering what are the best websites to purchase the actual unit. Any recommendations are truly appreciated. I can't say how thankful I am over this community as I look to transforming my firebox into an insert.

My guess is that this question has likely come up already, but honestly I haven't personally been able to track it down in the forum.

I'm looking to purchase the Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 wood insert. My local shop has it but I am looking for the best price - even if it means waiting a month or two for shipping. When I asked this question related to the vent I was provided with some great resources, but wondering what are the best websites to purchase the actual unit. Any recommendations are truly appreciated. I can't say how thankful I am over this community as I look to transforming my firebox into an insert.
There is allot to be said for paying slightly more to support your local shops so there is someone there to help you when you need it.

There is allot to be said for paying slightly more to support your local shops so there is someone there to help you when you need it.
I do agree with your statement, Bholler. However, I have never been in that store and have done all the research on my own or using this community. I would feel more inclined to use the local shop if I took advice from them or took someone's time within the store. They are also one of maybe 4 shops here in my town and I know all 4 shops are doing quite well as they don't carry the same brands. Meaning, nearly every builder is using these shops in my town as well as many locals. Again, I would feel a sense of responsibility to purchase from my local store if they helped me in some way but as of now that simply isn't the case.

I hate to sound so cold, but I'm also trying to scrape by myself. I have a very tight budget that my wife has "given" me and I have to take every item into consideration when I finally make the purchase. This is going to include the vent kit, the insulation, the back plate, the unit, and lord knows whatever else I end up needing as far as tools to complete the job.

Reactions: marty319
I think you might be surprised with pricing, my local dealers are pretty competitive with pricing, when they order half a dozen stoves and half a dozen installs worth of components at a time their pricing becomes reasonable. When all factors were considered, especially shipping, I couldn't do any cheaper than my dealer, especially considering I could inspect the unit for damage before purchasing.

My Husqvarna dealer is the same way, they beat the box stores, and are cheaper than the online retailers when shipping is accounted for.

I think your "best price" is dictated more by season than retailer. Some manufacturers will offer incentives for offseason purchases like "$200 off this model in the month of X". Alternatively, I think it's possible to save sales tax (is your state has it) by ordering online.

I do agree with Bholler's point though and would caution against being penny smart and pound foolish. If you have any issues the dealer you purchased through is your avenue for recourse. It may be less about how much they've helped you ID the stove to date, and more about how they can support you moving forward. In other words, 'best place to purchase' isn't the same as 'cheapest place upfront'

Unfortunately, Tom Oyen, the Chimney Sweep has retired. I think his store was the only authorized online sales for PE in the states. Call around to all PE shops within whatever radius you are willing to drive to for comparison prices. If you are really trying to save money, wait until July for more competitive pricing or consider going with a different insert.

Seriously love this group! Thank you all for your input. In thinking about what everyone has shared (much more experience than I currently have) I'm likely going to take your advice. I liked the idea of going through the local avenue in the event something is wrong with my insert or that I am in need of additional supports in the future.

Reactions: avsmusic1
My local stove shop just sold me a new door handle for half of the cheapest internet price I could find and both gaskets were the same as online prices.

When I bought the Castine (in Aug 2006) I called around to 5 dealers. The best price by far was an unused floor model at the dealer furthest away from me, but they had it in blue-black enamel and the price difference was good enough that I didn't mind the 30 mile trip. I ended up selling it 2 yrs later for a little more than I paid for it. By then the price on the enameled Castine had gone up $400.

Reactions: avsmusic1
My 2 cents..... Go with the place that has the MOST knowledge. Which would be the place that has spent the most time working with you and/or answering questions. AND, ask if they do the installation themselves or if the installer is subcontracted for the busy season. Also, ask how many of that model stove they have put in. You will be working with these folks for a long time, the relationship and willing to help you is most important. I have learned more from this Forum, then all the conversations I have had with numerous dealerships.