Best options for restarting use of old hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Jimboricco

Oct 8, 2024
Vermont
Hello folks. I’m looking for some sage advice about how I can best utilize the heat potential of a fireplace here that hasn’t been in use for a while. I’m wondering if I can do anything besides just using it as a standard fireplace. If I got my hands on a wood stove, is there a cheap diy method to have it safely ensconced in the fireplace as a more efficient heat source? Many thanks

Hello folks. I’m looking for some sage advice about how I can best utilize the heat potential of a fireplace here that hasn’t been in use for a while. I’m wondering if I can do anything besides just using it as a standard fireplace. If I got my hands on a wood stove, is there a cheap diy method to have it safely ensconced in the fireplace as a more efficient heat source? Many thanks
No way of being able to give you any advice without much more info about size and condition of the fireplace hearth extension and flue

Reactions: Jimboricco
A pic or 2 is the best way to start. So we can see what you are asking about.

Reactions: Jimboricco
About 36x24x24

I’m looking for the absolute cheapest and simplest way to improve heat value from the normal 25%-retention of a fireplace. Thought to just slide a wood stove half way in, and work the stove pipe through a retrofitted hole in the present flue, which is a single thick rectangular piece that tilts from the center axis. Or even setting the stove outside of the hearth, with the stove pipe through the flue. In my simplistic summation, it seemed the stove would project more heat this way, even though I’ll still have the aggressive updraft of the chimney to contend with. Many thanks and apologies for my completely barbaric strategy hehe ; )

[Hearth.com] Best options for restarting use of old hearth

[Hearth.com] Best options for restarting use of old hearth

Edit… is that wood framing inside the fireplace. If so then an insert is not possible unless it’s removed. Users can only be installed inside a code compliant fireplace.

edit edit. Deleted post as is really not a functional fireplace. Recommendations no longer apply

Last edited:
That is not a working fireplace imo
There is wood on the inside....

The mantle also would be problematic for a stove in there.
And you'd need to line the flue rather thanjust vent into it

Basically "nope" keep the flowers in there ..

Reactions: EbS-P
Maybe possible with a rear vented Small woodstove. Any wood would almost definitely have to be removed from inside and around the fireplace including the mantle. A new liner would almost definitely be required. The stove could possibly be placed in front of the fireplace depending on your floor.

None of this would be cheap.

Thanks for replies everyone! This hearth had been operational for decades as is. The previous owner had bad asthma and stopped using it. Flowers nearly a tribute to the memory of the flame 😋. It’s actually in France, in the dordogne, few miles from Lascaux, so the code aspect is more flexible and honor system based ; ) best bet is to just use it as a fire place again I guess.

That is not a working fireplace imo
There is wood on the inside....

The mantle also would be problematic for a stove in there.
And you'd need to line the flue rather thanjust vent into it

Basically "nope" keep the flowers in there ..
On third glance I agree that is not a functional fireplace. Best option is a free standing stove somewhere else.
Thanks for replies everyone! This hearth had been operational for decades as is. The previous owner had bad asthma and stopped using it. Flowers nearly a tribute to the memory of the flame 😋. It’s actually in France, in the dordogne, few miles from Lascaux, so the code aspect is more flexible and honor system based ; ) best bet is to just use it as a fire place again I guess.
risks don’t change because you are in another country. The acceptable level of risk does.

I certainly would not use that fireplace. If your in a glass house, don't throw stones.

Our point is this: second pic, too left, there's wood. This is inside the firebox.

It's not black so there had been no fire there, ever.
Or the wood was installed after the fireplace was no longer used - but that begs the question whether the integrity (and fire safety) of the fireplace was changed needing to put that wood structure there to support things.

You can't burn in this.

Yes for sure if that is wood on the left than you have to pull it out. Who knows what's going to be behind it?

And what was there before the wood was there and that was taken out to make the space that contains the wood now...
That wood has not seen fire, so something changed after any previous (decades of) fire, and it should be inspected and recertified as a safe fireplace before you do anything.

Aaaaaand OP is gone. Gotta love people who come here asking for advice, ignore it, and ride off into the sunset to do whatever they were going to do anyway. I don't suppose they would come back and let us know when it fails fantastically?
Long time ago when working for a construction guy i asked something about a nailing pattern or a framing question.
He said "Why are you asking me?, You're gonna do what ever you want anyway."

Love that quote.