Best fan to move air along floor but quietly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nimrod1911

Nov 13, 2012
I have a Woodstock Soapstone Progress Hybrid stove. It is in a large family room in basement and the stairs going upstairs are across the room. I need a good fan that will move a lot of air QUIETLY along the floor. I will be using it to blow cold air from the stairs toward the stove. Suggestions? Also any suggestions on a small electric fan that I could hang behind the stove to move hot air? Finally does anyone have a heat fan on their stove that actually moves air pretty well? (for a large room)

Regular box fan on low is relatively quiet. I use one in the barn to really accelerate even heating by setting up a circulation pattern with that box fan.

These are the ones that can sit on a windowsill. Maybe 2’ tall.

We have a 10 and 12" table fans that are whisper silent on low speed yet they move a high volume of air. These were under $20 at the local hardware store. The Vornado 530 is a bit more expensive but a good one to use on the floor and it's very quiet.

We have a 10 and 12" table fans that are whisper silent on low speed yet they move a high volume of air. These were under $20 at the local hardware store. The Vornado 530 is a bit more expensive but a good one to use on the floor and it's very quiet.

Using similar 8 or 10" Honeywell branded 3 spd., in the hallway at opposite end of house -- on low speed it gets a nice circulation loop going. I experimented with various fan placements, finally finding that the fan at far end of house in the hall, on floor, moving cold air towards stove room worked the best.

Behind the stove, I use a little 6" fan and have devised a sheet-metal shroud to work similar to the factory (expensive) fan system. Be careful with clearances, as I have the clearance due to a corner installation that exceeds the clearance to combustibles behind the stove.

This one has worked great for me:

Honeywell HY-280 QuietSet Whole Room Tower Fan

It has 8 speeds and even on the highest speed its still quiet.

It's more effective to move the denser cool air. I don't think you need to worry about the warm air, as it will be displaced out of the room by the incoming cool air.

I use those squirrel cage type fans ,the carpet dryer ones. They are very quiet but move a lot of air.