Belkin Wemo switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian L

Oct 15, 2013
North Smithfield, RI
So I have an idea to use a wemo light switch to turn my enviro mini on and off. This would allow me to do some fun stuff by setting up triggers using ifttt.com and the associated iOS app. I could do scheduling with that and even turn on the stove via SMS or Twitter.

So the tricky part is the wiring as the switch needs a 110v source. I'm thinking if I can find a simple relay that works on 110v and just truckers a basic connection this could work. See my diagram below.

Any thoughts on if this look feasible?
Belkin Wemo switch

Reactions: smwilliamson
Seems reasonable to me. You've gone this far so I summer you know to watch amperages and whatnot.

Rika's in europe come with a phone/data module built in for remote control,maybe see what they use?

So the amperage is where my uncertainty lies. I'm thinking the only place I need to worry about the amperage is the relay. I'm uncertain on how much the wemo switch actually needs to run. It's a basic wifi connected device so I am thinking very little. I feel like a 120vac 5A spst relay would work.

Making some progress. I picked up a 10A relay and the wemo light switch. I made quick setup in my workshop and I was able to actuate the relay from the wemo device.

I even went as far as setting up a twitter trigger the it turns the relay in when I tweet #fire.

Hopefully I have time to connect to my stove this weekend.

More to come...

Making some progress. I picked up a 10A relay and the wemo light switch. I made quick setup in my workshop and I was able to actuate the relay from the wemo device.

I even went as far as setting up a twitter trigger the it turns the relay in when I tweet #fire.

Hopefully I have time to connect to my stove this weekend.

More to come...
Is it just an on/off switch, or can you do other things with it?

This is essentially a wireless on/off switch replacing a thermostat, correct?

Here's what I can't figure out: What exactly are you doing with the switch? Turning on power to the stove, or the convection blower, or what? I have a fully automated home EXCEPT the pellet stoves, and am missing something here...

I am turning the stove on and off. My enviro mini has an option to install a thermostat. Basically all that did was make a connection between two wires when calling for heat. I was using a thermostat but had it programmed to be just a timer because that is all I wanted at the time. However I was running into times where I got home early and the stove wasn't on yet or I was coming home and needed to clean the stove but it was still on. With this set up I just turn it on or off remotely when needed or just let the schedule do its thing.

So basically I used the wemo wall switch to power a relay which triggers the stove on and off much like a thermostat except I either manually control it or set up some event triggers. These can be time based through the wemo app or through one of the many channels offered through IFTTT.com.

OK, I think I'm understanding it a bit better... It sounds like you leave the stove with access to AC, but use the relay to just close the thermostat circuit. That's a very nice idea and use of the WEMO. Makes sense to me now.

I have a Quad MVAE with an advanced thermostat, but it controls almost all the "logic" of the stove with a proprietary signaling protocol so despite being able to turn anything else in the house on and off I can't control my pellet stove. Drives me crazy... My other stove is an old Whitfield Quest with no ignitor, so I'm stuck with that one as well. I'm thinking of moving the Quest to another fireplace we never use and looking for another stove for its current location. That one will most definitely allow control with a regular thermostat, rather than being at either extreme like my current setup!

Thank you for the clarification.

Here is a write up on my experience with connected the Belkin Wemo Light Switch to my Enviro Mini A. I am happy to answer questions for anyone looking to do something similar.

I have only had it working for less than a day but it is working great and doing exactly what I needed it to do. So far I have:
  • Set up scheduling for when the stove will turn on/off.
  • Enabled remote access through the WeMO app.
  • Set up on/off capability via SMS with the use of a #keyword
  • Enabled SMS notifications when the stove turns on
Next I am am toying with the idea of logging run time of the stove to a Google Docs spreadsheet. Maybe I will see a correlation of pellet quality and pellet consumption. Possibly adding a wall switch to my humidifer that will be triggered by the pellet stove turning on.

Attachments

• WeMo_Pellet_Control.pdf
    394 KB · Views: 1,542
Am I missing something,but won't a wifi smart thermostat do all that?I mean you have to leave your wifi on while you are not there for the wemo to work?

We'll they seem to be pretty expensive for starter. Some even needed a service plan for remote connections. As far as capabilities, I think this set up has more that I can use. Thermostat functionality is not necessary for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.