Before I give up on my stove dream...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

3dogsrule

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
central Arkansas
...and look for inserts, needed some feedback. Was at the second dealer yesterday, had some really nice stoves. He agreed that I should be able to butt a stove up against my ZC and maybe even partially protrude into it, do some nice non-combustible surround to hide the ZC, etc. Then we got to talking about the install, reline the pipe, okay, pick a stove with a rear vent, run straight into a T, then up my existing pipe. Then he said I'd have to get behind the stove to clean out the T from time to time. Wait a minute. But I'm going to have a pretty surround, maybe tile. Then it'd have to be a removable surround, he said. I said but on the last standalone stove I had, instead of cleaning out from the bottom of the T, I just scooped out what I could from the inside of the stove (it was a big ole metal stove) out of the T, know I didn't get it all out but kept it clean enough to not impede airflow. He said I wouldn't be able to do that, I guess he thought it'd be too long of a run to do that. From the front of my ZC, it's 11.5" to the middle of the chimney pipe, I'm looking at the shallowest stoves I can find (15-18", 20" deep tops). Since we'll be leaving the ZC in place, I can't cut a whole in the back of the outside chase to get to the T. Is there NO way to clean out a T from the inside of the stove? Use a shop vac or something??? Do all y'all who have Ts (without an outside access) take the bottoms off the T to clean them?

Karen

I had a chimney fire inside a Tee once. That cleaned it out.

No, you generally wont be able to clean the Tee from inside the stove.

Are you getting close to the point where you're ready to just rip all that crap out yet???

Yes I (or someone) have to climb behind the stove and pull the tee-cap off to clean it out. i've considered fabbing a transition for the tee cap to adapt to the old ash cleanout trapdoor on the bottom of my fireplace, but you need that to be an airtight thing...

Wet1 said:
No, you generally wont be able to clean the Tee from inside the stove.

Are you getting close to the point where you're ready to just rip all that crap out yet???

Yes, after I'm done ripping out all my hair, the ZC might be next.

I do want to do things proper, I really do, but I live in a remote area where most people have inserts and stoves, and I KNOW these lazy drunks I live around don't pull out diddly to clean their T, I just really hoped there was another way to skin this cat.

Karen

I'm closing off my tee in my fireplace - I had resolved myself to top-down cleanings and moving the stove to clear the tee and stove pipe. However the Oslo has a top plate that is easily removed so I'll be able to clean top-down then snake a small brush and vacuum hose to the tee for final clean up.

What about ripping all that ZC out, dropping a real class A chimney down the chase & making it a stove alcove?

Had thought about (a) ripping it all out and (b) making an alcove, but (b) my TV is installed above the fireplace, and this is the only solid wall I've got to both have a fire and a TV, and (a) I'm a big ole chicken with a tiny little purse. Being between boyfriends at the moment and being none too handy with a hammer myself, everything I'd do would have to be hired out. So hard to find a man to work for 30 packs and back rubs.

Karen

Do the insert.

3dogsrule said:
Had thought about (a) ripping it all out and (b) making an alcove, but (b) my TV is installed above the fireplace, and this is the only solid wall I've got to both have a fire and a TV, and (a) I'm a big ole chicken with a tiny little purse. Being between boyfriends at the moment and being none too handy with a hammer myself, everything I'd do would have to be hired out. So hard to find a man to work for 30 packs and back rubs.

Karen

u should move to Alaska! there would be men smahing down your door for a backrub.

I know Fred, will end up being easier, just REALLY wanted a stove. I'm shopping for inserts that will fit (a challenge) and also not be too flush, but in the meantime, is a straight pipe out of the back of a stove into a tee the only option for using my existing chimney with a stove?? Seems like if the heights worked out (remember I have no hearth yet so I've got some up/down room to play with), there outta be some angling I could do before I connect with my chimney. Then when I clean out the chimney (ie hire someone to climb 30 feet in the air and clean out my chimney), the stuff would fall into the stove and I clean it out from there. Couldn't I just use some angled pipes and stuff like that?

Karen
(wishing I'd stop living in my little dream world where everything is supposed to work out nice and easy!)

Save up and hire it all out to one place and get the stove you want. You have till the end of 2010 for the 30% tax credit ( I haven't seen it mentioned in this particular thread...but I'm assuming you know that stove, all parts, and install is 30% off right now after tax credit).

Aint a town in the world doesn't have a handy man who'll work for beer and backrubs from a single woman. If you really want to go that route...I'm sure you can pull it off.

Remember, the vent exiting a stove must slope upwards at least 1/4" per foot of run. You can not angle the pipe downward, period.

BTW, you should post some pictures of yourself, of the beer in question, and give a reference or two for the quality of the back rubs... you might find a taker here. :cheese:

BTW, I'd rip out the ZC FP, install the stove of your choice, and put a 6" SS liner inside your existing flue.

Wet1 said:
Remember, the vent exiting a stove must slope upwards at least 1/4" per foot of run. You can not angle the pipe downward, period.

BTW, you should post some pictures of yourself, of the beer in question, and give a reference or two for the quality of the back rubs... you might find a taker here. :cheese:

I was wondering if I was going to be the one who had to say post pics:)

That was about as classy as it can be said - well done

3dogsrule said:

Karen

Hello, My name is Frank. I'm a 30 something male who ....ahhh, I'm married dangit

Wet1 said:
BTW, I'd rip out the ZC FP, install the stove of your choice, and put a 6" SS liner inside your existing flue.

How difficult would you rate ripping out the ZC FP?

Also - what other challenges would she face in building a new hearth etc?

Here's the little stove alcove I built once I ripped all the ZC mess out:

[Hearth.com] Before I give up on my stove dream...

In the summer, the stove/stove pipe goes out to my shop and I put my bar in the alcove:

[Hearth.com] Before I give up on my stove dream...

3dogsrule said:

Karen

Dang it sure is a long way to Arkansas from here! I should of rode back with the Razorback team last weekend!

meathead said:
Wet1 said:

I was wondering if I was going to be the one who had to say post pics:)

That was about as classy as it can be said - well done
Thank you sir! :coolsmile:

Hopefully Karen has a sense of humor... and pictures for the fellow pigs! :)

CJRages said:
Wet1 said:

How difficult would you rate ripping out the ZC FP?

Also - what other challenges would she face in building a new hearth etc?
I'd rate the job about a 6 or 7 out of 10. There's nothing really all that technical about it, but it would take some time, tools, and know how. Probably more than she wants to get herself into based on her comments above.

Things i would make sure of before i put a stove in front of a zc firebox.
1) that the stove does not require a r rated hearth pad. I would guess the hearth is tile on durarock on plywood, which is only good for a ember protection rated stove only.
2) all clearances are met, including rear, front heart , sides, mantel, etc. Stoves have higher clearances then most inserts except for hearth protection, where they are usaly the same.
3) make sure the custom plate is easly removed so you can get back to the T for easy cleaning.
4) make sure your horizontal run has 1/4" of rise per foot.
5) make sure that they use a rigid liner, or a insulated flex liner. This is to keep the liner off of the walls of the existing pipe so they are not overheated in the event of a chimney fire. The rigid liner can be suspended so that the sides dont touch, not so easy with flex.
6) I would install a insert made for ZC fireplaces if you are determined to do this project with the current firebox. It will be the safest, easiest install with minimal work needed for the hearth and clearances.

Let the cat calls begin! :cheese:

Karen, you're a great sport! I wish I was closer, I'd give you a hand. ;)

If I leave now I can be there in about ...........13 hours 12 min....32 sec.

Wish I was closer ALSO!

Status
Not open for further replies.