Bed of hot pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dubbz

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
I have an Englander 25EPI and very pleased overall but single digit temps make it hard to get the ranch style house over 66 degrees. Burning on a heat range of 4 with Energex pellets, I've been scraping the burn pot daily. I was wondering if I should leave the hot bed of burning ash on the bottom. While half the holes are covered with ash, a fair amount are open. That ash appears very hot. Thinking of letting the ash build overnight and see if it raises the temp. Happy to hear any input.

I don't know your stove but it sounds like you need more air, if you're getting a bed of buildup that starts to plug the pot. You want more heat, so you need more air to better burn up what's in the pot. You do want to leave enough to keep the fire going between dumps from the auger, but it usually doesn't take much.

With too little air, the process of ejecting the ash from the pot gets impaired, and continues until it's completely plugged. Then the pot will fill up and the fire will go out.