Battery back-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LKC

Nov 30, 2014
Maine
I purchased the APC BE750G battery back up for our Vista Flame 170B pellet stove. When we plug the pellet stove into the battery backup outlet, we get the overload alarm.

The APC folks now tell me that this battery is not rated for pellet stoves. Did I just waste my money?

I have not dealt with battery backups personally yet but the Manual shows the stove uses 432 watts at full power.
The apc is 450 watt. Thats only about 2 minutes of run time.

You didnt exactly waste money i guess.. you can use it for the tv or other electronics. And buy a much larger one for the stove.

I have not dealt with battery backups personally yet but the Manual shows the stove uses 432 watts at full power.
The apc is 450 watt. Thats only about 2 minutes of run time.

You didnt exactly waste money i guess.. you can use it for the tv or other electronics. And buy a much larger one for the stove.

this is what Harmon says about the BE750G. I guess I wrongly assumed that our Vista Flame would be able to use the same UPS.

Harman® has tested and approved the following UPS battery backups for use with Harman pellet stoves that are Rev E or later software which were available starting November 2010.These UPS battery backups are available at office supply stores and online: • APC (American Power Conversion) mode #BE750G • TrippLite model INTERNET750U Instructions to hook up a UPS Battery Backup to Harman unit: 1. Follow the instructions from the UPS battery backup manufacturer that comes with the backup. When power is lost, a fully charged UPS will power a combustion blower only shut-down.Your appliance will pulse the blower every few seconds to clear exhaust until the fire is out. NOTE:The UPS provides shut-down only. It will give about 2 hours of power and is not intended for con

I purchased the APC BE750G battery back up for our Vista Flame 170B pellet stove. When we plug the pellet stove into the battery backup outlet, we get the overload alarm.

The APC folks now tell me that this battery is not rated for pellet stoves. Did I just waste my money?

I don't know if your stove has auto ignition or not but if it does, you shouldn't use with with a battery backup. It's a waste of energy just light it with a torch if you're on backup. Otherwise it shouldn't be overloading with a regular burn

Status
Not open for further replies.