Battery back up system question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tj11 said:
Anyone know if this will work for a pellet stove.
The Harman model are about $500. So this seems like a good deal.

http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-inverter-store-product.php?model=pwric1500w-top-rgb

This has been talked about several times in this forum. The consensus is that pellet stoves need to use a pure sine wave battery backup, and since the one you're looking at is not then it's probably not going to work very well. The pure sine wave backup units are generally quite a bit more expensive. Sorry if I burst your bubble.

rap69ri said:
tj11 said:
Anyone know if this will work for a pellet stove.
The Harman model are about $500. So this seems like a good deal.

http://www.theinverterstore.com/the-inverter-store-product.php?model=pwric1500w-top-rgb

This has been talked about several times in this forum. The consensus is that pellet stoves need to use a pure sine wave battery backup, and since the one you're looking at is not then it's probably not going to work very well. The pure sine wave backup units are generally quite a bit more expensive. Sorry if I burst your bubble.

Thanks. I'd rather ask than waste $300 bucks on something I can't use. That money can get put to much better uses!

I have a direct vent ..no vertical rise. Better safe than sorry I opted for a 100 CA Marine Battery from Wal-Mart with a Stove Sentry converter. I have tried it several times works without a hitch. I have a generator system In my home but I'm NOT ALWAYS home..can't work if your not there to start it. My stove will run about 12 hours off the Grid..Money well spent for me and peace of mind..that has to count for something...

Catfishjack said:
.....Better safe than sorry I opted for a 100 CA Marine Battery from Wal-Mart with a Stove Sentry converter. I have tried it several times works without a hitch.....

Catfish, that sound good too....mind if I ask what those 2 items ran you, and where you got them?

EDIT: ooops...LOL...OK, you got the battery at Wal-Mart...what about the converter?

Catfishjack said:
I have a direct vent ..no vertical rise. Better safe than sorry I opted for a 100 CA Marine Battery from Wal-Mart with a Stove Sentry converter. I have tried it several times works without a hitch. I have a generator system In my home but I'm NOT ALWAYS home..can't work if your not there to start it. My stove will run about 12 hours off the Grid..Money well spent for me and peace of mind..that has to count for something...

This is probably the way I'll go just because I'm not always home either. Think I'll invest in a generator too.

I have tested mine at least 5 times and it works flawlessly I have it in my cellar right below my stove. Stove plug goes down through a hole in the floor behind my stove, drops into my cellar an plugs into the unit.The unit is plugged into the wall and hooked up to my Marine Battery....

I know that the APC Smart UPS are pure sine wave and will work; ran a Smart UPS 1000XL for a couple of months on mine. I wish I still had it but I donated it to a Non-profit place that I do the Server and computer work for.

I didn't realize that the SmartUPS were pure sine wave, they're much cheaper than the other solutions will be.

Well after my post last night our power went off at least 8-10 times during the course of the evening and stayed off for 2 hours during the middle of the night. My back up system ( stove sentry & marine Battery) did what it was supposed to do. My stove ran, we had a warm home, and I, with a direct vent and no vertical piping, had no smoke or smell of any kind in my home. Bottom line, it was worth what I spent and it won't be the last time it will be needed....

Catfishjack said:
Well after my post last night our power went off at least 8-10 times during the course of the evening and stayed off for 2 hours during the middle of the night. My back up system ( stove sentry & marine Battery) did what it was supposed to do. My stove ran, we had a warm home, and I, with a direct vent and no vertical piping, had no smoke or smell of any kind in my home. Bottom line, it was worth what I spent and it won't be the last time it will be needed....
Nothing better than some first hand experience from a fellow pellet burner in the same situation with horizontal venting. Looks like your experience should sell a few of these units. Thanks for the posting, it will help many to make a decision.

How long (just a gross estimate) do you think that would keep your pellet stove working if you plugged your stove into it. (30 minutes, few hours, etc)

Thanks.

Catfishjack said:
I have tested mine at least 5 times and it works flawlessly I have it in my cellar right below my stove. Stove plug goes down through a hole in the floor behind my stove, drops into my cellar an plugs into the unit.The unit is plugged into the wall and hooked up to my Marine Battery....

Curious about the switching system, does it automatically go to your inverter when the power goes out, or do you need to switch manually?

hossthehermit said:
...Curious about the switching system, does it automatically go to your inverter when the power goes out, or do you need to switch manually?

Hoss, that's why I was impressed by this unit that they make just for kerosene heaters/pellet stoves....it switches instantly without you having to do anything. It gets connected between the AC outlet and the stove, and keeps the battery charged until it's needed. AND it's pure sine wave, so no problems.

www.stovesentry.com/?p=surefireheater

Could you also hook this system up to an optima car battery? Another question is how do you leave it plugged in all the time? Do you plug the stove into the converter and the converter into the wall and the battery?

Would this converter also act as a surge protector?

macman said:
hossthehermit said:
...Curious about the switching system, does it automatically go to your inverter when the power goes out, or do you need to switch manually?

Hoss, that's why I was impressed by this unit that they make just for kerosene heaters/pellet stoves....it switches instantly without you having to do anything. It gets connected between the AC outlet and the stove, and keeps the battery charged until it's needed. AND it's pure sine wave, so no problems.

www.stovesentry.com/?p=surefireheater

Yeah, macman, looks like a nice setup. Looked at putting together something like it when I first put in the Revolution, ended up looking at about a $600 price tag with enough battery for 8 hours, wife decided I should just go out and start the generator. We 'll see how this shakes out the first time we lose the power at 2 a.m. snowing , 10 below. Once the bed is warm I can sleep thru anything, she wakes up for anything.

I purchased a UPS (Cyberpower CP850AVRLCD). This has a built in voltage regulator as well as acts as a backup for the small outages that we have from time to time. I also picked up a small generator from Amazon (1200 Watts Peak, 1000 Watts continuous) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9UOAC) to attach to the UPS for extended outages. IMO if you goig to spend thousands of dollars on a pellet stove you can spend a couple of hundre to safe guard it. I've actually pulled the plug while the stove was running and the stove didn't even flinch. I left it unplugged for 30 Minutes and they stove worked perfectly. I'm glad I made the purchase. I haven;t tried the generator yet but plan to soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.