Basement install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snickers104

Nov 17, 2018
Kansas
Would like to put a pellet stove in the basement. Want to vent through one of those 1970s small basement windows. Is this possible or been done before?
Thanks.

Reactions: bogieb
My P61a is vented thru a basement window in my 1960 era house. You need to replace the entire window with some nice thick plywood or OSB (or even two layers separated by and air layer). Use a regular thimble and caulk edges. I also run my OAK thru where the second pane would have been. My exhaust just sticks straight out the "window" with a 12" extension and then a Jet exhaust termination (which equates to something like 15" from the side of the house). Works well for me.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
My P61a is vented thru a basement window in my 1960 era house. You need to replace the entire window with some nice thick plywood or OSB (or even two layers separated by and air layer). Use a regular thimble and caulk edges. I also run my OAK thru where the second pane would have been. My exhaust just sticks straight out the "window" with a 12" extension and then a Jet exhaust termination (which equates to something like 15" from the side of the house). Works well for me.
Can you take a picture of it for me?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can you take a picture of it for me?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Picture from inside. I used 3" semi-rigid aluminum flex hose for the OAK. I also covered that side (around the OAK) with Reflectix and foil tape. Of course can't do that by the exhaust.

Basement install

From the outside. The OAK termination is for a 3" bath fan and the exhaust is sealed with high temp flexible Rutland SealItRight that comes in a caulk-type container Inside is sealed the same way).
Basement install

Reactions: Mt Bob
The pic from the inside makes that exhaust pipe look like it is right next to the wall. There is a 3" gap there. If you just have bare concrete/block walls you can run it just off the block - which is how it used to be. I actually moved my stove this fall in order to put up rigid foam insulation, Reflectix, then finish with metal strapping (leaves an airgap) then the wallboard. wallboard.