Baffles on Super 27 D series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rDmusic

Sep 4, 2019
Saint-Côme, Quebec
Hello
I'm new to this site & forum.
I own a Super 27 D series (serial # WH 91932) .
Purchased used from someone who wasn't the first owner.
I would like to know about what year this model might be ?.
There is a baffle blanket which seems to cover the entire baffle folding over the sides.
Is this correct for this model. ?
How often does the baffle blanket get changed ?
How does one determine if the baffle is warped. ?
How long do they usually last.?.
My baffle is not flat on the underside.It seem to have a slight belly which is symmterical.. it flares out deeper at the front and flattens towards the back of the stove. Is this standard for this series and year?
Cracked and broken bricks.
how quickly must they be replaced?
how does this condition affect the efficiency of the stove.?
I use the stove as the primary heat source for my very small house.
I have used this stove for two years.
so many questions..if anyone could answers them it would be greatly appreciated
many thanks

rD

Paging @thechimneysweep. Super27 questions on aisle one.

Not sure about the age of the unit. A little sag in the baffle bottom is not uncommon, particularly if the stove was pushed hard at some time. The modern baffle are stainless steel and last a long time with care. Cracked bricks? It depends on how badly cracked they are. Often a couple cracked bricks can swap position with floor bricks.

Paging @thechimneysweep. Super27 questions on aisle one.

Not sure about the age of the unit. A little sag in the baffle bottom is not uncommon, particularly if the stove was pushed hard at some time. The modern baffle are stainless steel and last a long time with care. Cracked bricks? It depends on how badly cracked they are. Often a couple cracked bricks can swap position with floor bricks.[/QUOTE

Many thanks..
hopefully will be able to trace the serial number to date the unit. will examine the baffle more closely ..
and swap out the baffle blanket and bricks.
cheers
rD

Can you post some pictures of the stove and the stove interior? That will help. I'm not sure about the insulation blanket. The Supers that I have seen have the insulation blanket under a stainless cover plate which is part of the baffle assembly. But perhaps it was on top in some older incarnation. That's why I pinged Tom Oyen (the chimneysweep). He owned an older model and knows these stoves inside out.

Can you post some pictures of the stove and the stove interior? That will help. I'm not sure about the insulation blanket. The Supers that I have seen have the insulation blanket under a stainless cover plate which is part of the baffle assembly. But perhaps it was on top in some older incarnation. That's why I pinged Tom Oyen (the chimneysweep). He owned an older model and knows these stoves inside out.

OK will do.. but this seems to be an older model which I why I posted here .. the baffle is not stainless steel from it's appearance

Could be an original model. The first baffles were not stainless, nor the side rails. Fortunately, I think a modern baffle replacement kit still fits the old model. Tom would know.

Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series Baffles on Super 27 D series

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem, fixed.

That is an oldie, looks like the original Super 27. It's in decent condition considering. I don't see anything that has to be replaced this season unless you want to get a new blanket on top of the baffle. The rear bricks can be swapped with the floor bricks but overall nothing to worry about. Be careful to not slam in logs. That's usually what cracks the rear bricks.

No problem, fixed.

That is an oldie, looks like the original Super 27. It's in decent condition considering. I don't see anything that has to be replaced this season unless you want to get a new blanket on top of the baffle. The rear bricks can be swapped with the floor bricks but overall nothing to worry about. Be careful to not slam in logs. That's usually what cracks the rear bricks.

many thanks indeed..I will be sure to treat it with respect ..it has served me well these past two long cold winters here in Quebec...

Baffle looks like stainless to me. I can't say for the Super27, but in the Summit series, the baffle with a blanket on top is an A model, original model. The blanket most likely should have a stainless steel pan over it also. At least the Summit did.
The natural wooden handle is also a tell tale sign of it being an A or "original" body style model. Pre 2006

Attachments

• Baffles on Super 27 D series
    P1010079.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 218
  • Baffles on Super 27 D series
    P1010080.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Based on the door style I suspect it is an original Super27 circa 1990, but waiting for a positive ID by Tom. If so, the baffle and rails may be steel.

Baffle looks like stainless to me. I can't say for the Super27, but in the Summit series, the baffle with a blanket on top is an A model, original model. The blanket most likely should have a stainless steel pan over it also. At least the Summit did.
The natural wooden handle is also a tell tale sign of it being an A or "original" body style model. Pre 2006

Many thanks for your input . the sticker on the back has it as a Model D series Super 27.. don't know anything more other than the serial number is in the 9K range. I don't known the history of the unit I purchased it from someone who was not the original owner ...It did not come woth a stainless steel pan on top,, ..should there be one for this model ? ..I replaced the baffle blanket 2 seasons ago .. I dont know how often they should be replaced

I am thinking there should be a s.s. flame shield over the blanket, as the blanket should quite a few years.
To find out exact year model, I would touch base with Tom with the serial number

Hi..
I am a bit confused by your post..
if you looked at the photo of the top of the stove (top L) ,the edge of the shield with the retaining the tongue & screw can be seen..
I did a visual check as well as referencing the parts manual
It's there .. don't think it's meant to cover the connecting hole
cheers
rD

The plate you're seeing that bolts to a tab just inside the outlet, is a heat shield for the top plate of the stove. There is typically another separate s.s. cover plate that rests over the blanket of the baffle as seen in the photos I posted. You will have to talk to Tom to see if it applies to your 27. It would help protect and extend the life of the baffle blanket. Nothing should be covering the outlet hole.

Your serial # and flat-topped door date your stove sometime in the early 1990's. Back then, the baffle blanket just laid on top of the baffle, no cover plate. Your baffle looks to be in good shape (the sag is typical, doesn't affect the burn). Likewise the blanket. Swap out the cracked side bricks for uncracked floor bricks as BeGreen suggested, and you'll be good to go. Note: the boost air manifold that spans the door opening needs to be removed and re-oriented so the row of holes points straight back at the coal bed.

Note: the boost air manifold that spans the door opening needs to be removed and re-oriented so the row of holes points straight back at the coal bed.
Thanks Tom. I was wondering about that odd boost manifold cover orientation. Were the baffle and side-rails stainless or regular steel on these early models? I thought they were steel but may be confusing this with the early Lopis.

The original Super 27 baffle was mild steel, and welded to the air supply tube. The side rails were likewise mild steel, and spot-welded in place. PE adopted the floating (removable) baffle and side rails in mid-1989, starting with serial #70000. They began making the baffle and side rails out of stainless steel shortly thereafter (sorry, don't have a date or serial # for the switch to stainless).

Reactions: begreen
rDmusic the stove has stood up well. With a fresh coat of paint and a little polish it would look like new.