Baffles, cleaning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BucksPA

Feb 9, 2023
Bucks County, PA
For those who have Lopi stoves (esp. Evergreen insert), have you ever removed/replaced baffle plates and blanket? I have tried to follow the instructions in the manual to remove the plates and blanket for cleaning. First time last winter, plates broke during removal. Yesterday, broke another set trying to put them back in. Removal is difficult...getting them back in is maddening. The ceramic fiber is more than brittle and the instructions in the manual are ridiculous-it is impossible to reach up/in and replace bypass assembly on top of plates/blanket.

I am not an engineer, but the assembly and instructions are infuriating.

Any tips? Do you guys even remove plates and blanket to clean? Also, I ordered replacements from Lynn Manufacturing-any thoughts on that company/products?

Hopefully this update is helpful to someone who is having difficulty removing/replacing baffle plates and blanket:

Tried a new sequence and it worked well. Instead of replacing bypass assembly LAST, replace it first. Then, gently slide blanket over back air tubes with notch fitting around bypass assembly (first two will still be removed). Next, reinstall baffle plates one by one, sliding carefully under blanket while gently pushing up blanket. Plates will slide between blanket and two rear air tubes. Replace air tube 2, then front baffle bracket, then reinstall air tube 1. Finally, lift and slide steel baffle plates up over tubes, plates and blanket and put in place on top of blanket.

This is for a Lopi Evergreen insert. Also, I received my new plates and blanket from Lynn Manufacturing and they fit perfectly.

Still interested to know if other insert owners even remove baffles to clean. Take care.

I have the Lopi medium flush insert, and do a good cleaning once a year in early fall. I do not remove the baffles, just carefully maneuver the shop vac hose up above the baffle and seems to work well enough. Of note- my baffle is firebrick, no blanket.