Baffle question on a Grandpa bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is this a straight up pipe configuration or are there elbows?
Is it single wall pipe from stove to chimney support box, and length of connector pipe run?
Spark screen at chimney top? (A little accumulation on a screen using 6 inch makes a huge difference).
This is all pipe configuration that adds resistance which reduces draft. The baffle adds resistance right in the firebox. (similar to a pipe damper adding a variable resistance) So it's very easy to add too much resistance depending on the draft the chimney creates.
An 8 inch flue doesn't create more draft, it has more capacity. Adding height increases draft, but there are limits and tables that give you an idea how much gain before height becomes detrimental.

No one can tell you if 6 inch will work fine in your installation not knowing details of installation and the building it is in. Putting this stove on a lower level with stairway to upper bedrooms, wall outside near chimney, slopped roof in a windy area....... All can create problems with smoke roll in when opening doors when reducing chimney size. (an air leak in a building above the stove can cause problems even with the correct size chimney) Best case scenario, they work fine reduced. You will see many for sale with reduction collars on the stove that have worked well for years.

It is no longer legal to reduce size smaller than stove outlet, that said it is not legal for a new install with an unlisted appliance as well. Personally I would use 6 inch double wall chimney, so you are ready for most any newer stove as well. IF someone wants to go that route some day. If you burn less than optimal wood such as I do, and need the greatly increased heat output all at once, you'll favor this stove over most anything new.

Length X Width of the opening you have at baffle edge gives you square inches of open space. For example 26.5 X 2 being 53 square inches is more than the minimum required 50.25 for 8 inch, and an opening of 26.5 X 1.25 being 33 square inches is more than the required 28.25 square inches for 6 inch flue. You just can't close it down smaller than the square inches of flue, and open it more as needed for things that reduce draft.
So make your baffle slightly larger than template and raise and lower to adjust to needed open space.
Use a pipe thermometer on single wall pipe just before it enters chimney. Surface temp is about 1/2 of actual flue gas temp, then you have an idea of temps at the top staying above 250*f. This is while smoke is present, not during coaling stage when there is no smoke particles to form creosote.

Thanks Coaly for the great info. I am putting this stove in my 25x38 garage and using DuraVent double wall from the stove to the cap, it is a straight run up through the roof. The height from the stove to the steel roof is about 10’.

If you are referring to double wall connector pipe all the way, don't expect it to work properly.

Dura-Vent makes double wall chimney (which is what I thought you were referring to) as well as triple wall chimney sections. Double wall is best, but not normally connected to stove since single wall pipe is all that is needed inside. Chimney pipe is insulated to keep the inner flue hot enough to cause enough draft to make the stove work. Rising gasses in the chimney is what causes a low pressure area in the stove. This allows atmospheric pressure to PUSH air with oxygen into the stove intake. Without a chimney from the roof up, you will not have enough draft to operate properly, it will not stay clean or have enough draft to make the baffle work as it should.

Chimney flue creates or makes a negative pressure area called draft. (low pressure area in chimney, connector pipe and stove) The higher the inside flue temp compared to outside (temperature differential) the stronger the "draft", or pressure differential.
Connector pipe allows cooling, therefore reduces draft just like tees, elbows, pipe damper and spark screen. The largest reduction is the size of the intake opening.
Each stove has a draft requirement at the stove connector which is the lowest pressure area in the system.
Without that correct negative pressure you won't get enough, or a good mix of oxygen into the firebox for correct combustion.

The chimney is the engine that drives the stove. You have a large stove that can be compared to a truck that needs a larger engine. Roll it downhill with no engine and it will "go", but under load it's not going to work. That is how your stove will operate. You will be leaving all the heat up the stack to create enough draft to get oxygen into the stove, but not enough oxygen to get any performance out of it. The heat you leave up won't allow the stove to come up to proper operating temperature to heat the area you're trying to heat. It needs to radiate the excess heat back into the building.
Forget the baffle without a chimney. You'll need to leave all the heat up you can, killing the efficiency. Even allowing more heat than necessary up the stack, it will need much more frequent cleaning. You're looking at a creosote factory outside without insulated chimney sections.
The reason for the baffle is to allow more heat to radiate from the stove, instead of losing it up the stack. (using an efficient chimney that stays hot inside)

With the proper chimney;
With a ceiling higher than 8 feet, the connector pipe losses a lot of heat before dumping into chimney flue. (Insulated flue will stay hotter all the way to the top) so you need a larger smoke space above baffle than the minimum opening to run a hotter stack.
Double wall pipe is an option to prevent cooling in longer runs before dumping into chimney. You can't use a surface thermometer on double wall pipe. That requires internal temp to be taken with a probe type thermometer.

Mount a chimney support box at roof over stove, install 2 sections of insulated chimney outside, and you will have about 16 feet above stove that will work with 6 inch reduced at stove. Less chimney sections than that will not work well reduced to 6.

I would go 6 using double wall connector pipe.
If you need a second section of chimney, it's still cheaper than going all 8.
I ran 8 inch stoves here with two sections of 6 and single wall (8 foot ceiling) and they worked good with baffle. Never a hint of smoke smell in the house. Plus, mine is insulated triple wall that doesn't stay as hot inside as double wall that uses a thicker denser insulation.

The only time it should need 8 is open door burning, (great for starting but you won't get much heat out of it) or if it is outdoor temp when starting and you need full heat output to bring a building up to temp. You're not going to get the max output when reducing, but the majority of heating doesn't call for that.

That stove was rated to heat 2000 sf with 8 foot ceiling or 16,000 cubic feet. (in Seattle Washington) You have less than that cubic area. Unknown insulation, windows and drafts....... you should be fine with that if there is nothing extreme.

Don't judge by the first fire or so. The firebrick absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and it takes time to turn it to steam and out goes the heat. Major difference with the second fire giving you a better idea of heat output.

We all assume you're aware it is against code to use any open flame appliance in a garage where a vehicle or fuel vapors are present.

Looks like I should stick with 8” since I will have 13’ above the stove?

When manufacturers state a minimum of 15 feet, it was due to testing with that height. So any UL listed stoves tested with that height had to be installed to that minimum as tested. It has nothing to do with what height is required to make it work.

Thanks Coaly! No vehicles and fuel vapors in the garage, more of a workshop/ man cave. I am just going to enjoy the stove and do a little tinkering. Thank you again for you help.

@coaly , what size angle iron did you weld to your baffle plate to hold the bricks in place?

1 1/2 X 1 1/2

Keeping this thread going... Which baffle configuration would wok best for my grandpa bear? Seems the lower/longer baffle would provide the best mixing with fresh oxygen and larger area before the flue outlet. (Rear flue). Thoughts?

Attachments

• WS1.JPG
    WS1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 287
  • ws2.JPG
    ws2.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 285