Bad to burn mesquite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AZ Firebird

Jan 8, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out what type of wood stove or insert to put in the home in southern AZ and ran across an unexpected complication. While choosing the type of insert (not certain yet), the dealership said that I might not want to consider the catalytic Regency I1150 because I would mostly be burning mesquite. I want to try to take advantage of the Biomass credit, but don't know if I going to have more problems purchasing the catalytic Regency I1150 over the other Regency I1150 models that don't have it. Thanks in advance!

And.did he say why mesquite would not be okay in a cat stove?

He said because the trees we have in our area (mesquite and palo verdes) are more of a "wet" wood that it gums up the catalytic faster when burned (generate more smoke?) as opposed to the non-catalytic that use other methods (afterburner tubes(?)) which deal with the burnings the excess better.

I don't have experience with mesquite. But if the argument is that it's pitchy (sappy), then most users would disagree.

Maybe @MMH would know? He's in NV.

Otherwise I suggest to contact the manufacturer rather than the dealer. I've seen too many cases here where dealers really don't know what they are talking about. In the end the mfg will decide on warranty issues, so I'd follow their lead here.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I’ve not heard of that, but would second contacting manufacturer; I don’t have mesquite in my area that’s mostly southern Nevada that has it. But internet has it at 28 mbtu, and I’d imagine whatever “sappiness” is fine as long as it’s properly seasoned. I’d go for it.

I am not sure about the Mesquite smoking, but I think the dealership is smoking something.
Dry fuel and proper operation of the stove is the key.

Reactions: weatherguy
Having lived in S. Az and burned mesquite I can tell you it's a great wood and rivals oak. The sap can be sticky as all heck but it seasons well. I would guess that some folks idea that mesquite is sappy is because it does tend to ooze more than others. The wood itself I have never considered to be sappy like fir or pine. Burn it, it will be fine.

As an aside there are some that consider burning mesquite sacrilege. Supposed to save that stuff for the smoker .and burn pinon and juniper 😂
Pinion is also a great burning pine that you may be able to get. I think it is on par with lodgepole.

Maybe he's on a diet and doesn't want the whole area smelling like awesome BBQ?

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
It is funny how valuable mesquite is up here in the northern and eastern US. I drove the big rig across Texas for 8 years. You get south of San Antonio, there are no trees. Nothing but mesquite. A big mesquite bush will be 30 feet tall, and have four or five trunks, 6 inch diameter. You can look off to the west off of I35, and see for two miles, nothing but mesquite. I have seen where they were clearing land, probably to raise cattle, clearing 200 acres and they sent in bulldozers, and made piles of mesquite, piles 15 feet high an 50 feet long, maybe 2 dozen piles like that, just waiting to be burned in place to get rid of it.

I would talk to locals down there in a truck stop, and tell them that back in North Carolina mesquite sold in my grocery store, a one pound bag for $5, they didn't believe me and they thought I was a pretty bad liar.

As long as the wood is seasoned it doesn't matter what species you burn with a cat stove.

I think the same holds for a tube stove.

I live in NC and like to run a smoker and a grill. Love to use mesquite and as I said, it can be purchased at the grocery store, one pound for five bucks. These aromatic woods, such as pecan and mesquite, don't hold their wonderful scents forever. About two years after being cut, the good smells go away and the stiff is not much good for smoking. And I have bought more than one bag that was stale.

In my many trips to Laredo, I spotted some big mesquite bushes at a rest area about mm60 on I35. On my next trip, I brought along a hand saw, I cut myself a 5 inch diameter branch, 4 feet long. Man, that wood was great in the smoker.

In cutting this wood up at home, I noticed how heavy and dense this wood was. It has got to be great firewood. I would love to have a pickup load of it , but Laredo is a little far to drive for firewood.

Mesquite is a little hard to come by in these parts.... price we pay for abundant hedge, I guess. So I'd say it is terribly bad to burn mesquite unless there is a nice, juicy piece of meat on top of the coals.

Reactions: stoveliker