Backup options during power outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moey

Minister of Fire
Jul 12, 2012
Southern Maine
Im looking into a battery setup ( car battery, marine battery ) to run my pellet stove for about 12 hours during a power failure. Im hoping some folks have something similar and can post what they have.

I have a invertor generator it works well for running my stove but it seems we only lose power during bad storms and I hate the thought of trying to set it up in a blizzard or in the middle of the night. I even have a little house to keep it dry in a blizzard but again the action of setting it up would be painful in a snowstorm.

I have a wood stove, four chords of wood, an 8 KW diesel generator and about a thousand gallons of diesel fuel. My pellet stove runs fine with the generator going as does my oil furnace. I live out in the boonies and power goes out for a few days every year. We are usually the last ones to get power back after a windstorm.