Back with another ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Delaware
1 Back with another ID
2Back with another ID
3Back with another ID
As usual thought my pics were better lol

The first one is heaviest piece of wood move ever lifted

Some type of walnut maybe? Black walnut? Whatever it is it looks really cool to work with.
I got a few rounds of the first one. Insane heavy. The second one I need to split out there will try if not raining tomorrow. Third one, frozen to ground so sorta a pain to attempt

The second one with the brown inside definitely Walnut; can we get a look at the bark on the other one, the "heavy" one?

Black Walnut and I think Hard Maple

The first one is heaviest piece of wood move ever lifted

You should keep a maul in your truck. You could have quartered the large round and made it easier to lift.

I'm with Pauly on the IDs.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
You should keep a maul in your truck. You could have quartered the large round and made it easier to lift.

I'm with Pauly on the IDs.
Right about the maul. I'm getting ready to go up and get some before rain and quartering it is the plan

So is walnut a good burn. How does it season? Went back with a maul before the all day rain set in. I fit more into mornings than I do all day. Sorta crazy
Back with another ID
Back with another ID

Walnut can season in a year. It puts off some heat but will never be confused with oak or locust. Yesterday most of the day was in the high 30s and I burned some walnut and it was just about right. Best for shoulder season in my opinion.

Walnut can season in a year. It puts off some heat but will never be confused with oak or locust. Yesterday most of the day was in the high 30s and I burned some walnut and it was just about right. Best for shoulder season in my opinion.
Works for me. A lot of the wood I've been scrounging now is more for mixers. From what I read I don't want to load all hedge etc.. I'm getting a large load of oak delivered from the local utility in next few weeks so I'm looking for the fill in the gaps stuff. Sounds like walnut will work well for that

The second one with the brown inside definitely Walnut; can we get a look at the bark on the other one, the "heavy" one?
Split a few of #1. It's heavy. Hard and bark seems very close to giant oaks I have in yard Back with another IDBack with another IDBack with another ID

You're doing good, Sully. Impressed that you are out there scrounging wood between the raindrops and the snowflakes! :)

Sully it is Hard Maple

The first one ... I'm going to say Antarctica ... oh wait ... wood type? No clue.
;lol, first thing that popped into my mind too

Last edited:
If you get big walnut rounds, the dark heartwood when fully dry is awesome stuff to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.