Back to burning again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

suprz

Sep 24, 2012
Rhode island
Hi, I am new here. I am picking up a 2 year old jotul F3 CB in creme color today with the hearth pad for $450.00
My first house had a vermont castings vigilant and I loved that stove! But during my divorce the ex sold it for.......$25.00.....yep...I was ticked off! But anyways...I just wanted to say hi before I start asking all sorts of questions....I need to get a chimney (class A) I got a quote for a complete kit for 1000.00. (attachments and 20 ft of pipe) is that alot?

Thanks and can't wait to start burning!

Hi and welcome, I am fairly new here myself but I just set up a Jotul F3 last year with only11' of class A and a 2' of double wall with a through the wall kit with clean out T and I believe that I spent $750.00, so I think your price sounds reasonable, mine was selkirk brand and I bought it at my local hardware store. Others should be along later and give you more input, and by the way that sounds like a really good deal on your stove also.

Welcome to the forums. You got a good deal on the stove so you're going to end up spending more on the chimney than the stove. I haven't priced chimney pipe but I think you're in the right ballpark. Do you have firewood?

Welcome to the forum suprz.

Sad to hear about the divorce and silly sale on the other stove. But that is behind you now and you'll restart with a good stove. Good luck to you. And no, that price is probably not out of line.

Well, i just got back....whew! That sucker is heavy! Of course it was on the second floor of a converted old victorian house that was turned into condos. Took alot of it apart to lighten it up but it
Was a bear to get down those stairs! The hearth pad was even worse!!!! The stove is in the basement now but the hearth pad is still outside in the trailer. I cannot even try to get it in the basement for now. I might have to put it in the shed wrapped in plastic for a few weeks till i am ready for the install. The stove is more than 2 years old though. And the coating on the stove is chipped in places. I will have to see how to patch that up. The heat shield is good, and will just need a respray of stove paint. The glass is clean, and all the internals are there and work. I have to remember how the internals go in though....i was dumb and didnt take a picture before i started taking it apart. I like the old style number "3" on the sides of the stove. I think it will work well for what we need. I have to get some firewood now. I might end up burning bio bricks this year...

Makes me hurt just thinking of moving that down a stairway. But then I think about going up and.....

Status
Not open for further replies.