Avoid soffit without angled chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wibblewobble

Dec 9, 2013
RI
I have 14 inches of soffit that I would like to avoid.

I'm going through the wall to the outside and up the end of my house.

I have looked at Duravent angled connectors and I have read it is OK to use them outside.

I would like to avoid having bends in the chimney though.

Is it possible to build some sort of metal framing to place the chimney T support 14 inches away from the side of the outside wall?

Would this be allowed in code?

ventis makes brackets that let you stand that far off the wall. But we still cut the soffit many times it keeps things tighter and looks better in my opinion.

Agreed cutting the soffit is a better look and stronger installation. Is there any possibility of going straight up through the house instead?

Thank you for your replies.

I would like to go straight through the house, but for a couple of reasons it is not really top choice.

I found another post where the installer built their own t-support - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/spacing-exterior-chimney-pipe-off-wall-ideas.132635/

Like he says it is pretty ugly, but it will be on the side of my house and could always be taken down if we sell at a later date!

Is such custom work allowed in code? I don't want to do something like that and then find out it is not allowed.

Thank you for your replies.

I would like to go straight through the house, but for a couple of reasons it is not really top choice.

I found another post where the installer built their own t-support - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/spacing-exterior-chimney-pipe-off-wall-ideas.132635/

Like he says it is pretty ugly, but it will be on the side of my house and could always be taken down if we sell at a later date!

Is such custom work allowed in code? I don't want to do something like that and then find out it is not allowed.

Hey there wibblewobble. The pic you are referencing in your post was my install. I am not sure how codes differ in other states or cities, but for what it is worth, my install passed inspection from the city I live in.

That is what I would do if avoiding the soffit cut. We have seen a few installations with owner-made extensions that have passed inspection. One variation several years back was with 3" welded feet on 1" square tube stock.

Attachments

• Avoid soffit without angled chimney?
    Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 7.50.29 PM.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Thank you for your reply bhildreth...I guess I could always show the pics and speak to the local inspector.
I am pretty sure it does not pass code. But I am also pretty sure most inspectors will pass it as long as your extensions are sturdy enough

I see that Excel also makes extended wall brackets.

Duravent too:

Not sure, from the 2014 catalog.

LOL Simpson sold out. It's been M&G for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.