Avalon/Lopi roll pin installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mt Ski Bum

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2011
Dillon, Mt
Hi All,

Is it possible to install the roll pins that hold the airtubes in place on Avalon/Lopi stoves without using their special tool? Apparently the only way you can buy one of their roll pin tools is to buy a whole new airtube kit- new tube, new collars, etc.. which is unnecessary if you are in my situation, where your air tubes are still in good condition and all you buy is just a pack of replacement roll pins.. which doesn't come with a tool, nor is the tool available to buy by itself...

Avalon/Lopi roll pin installation Avalon/Lopi roll pin installation

Vice grips. Compress the slot to get it started in the holes. Tap in to finish. Will post a site for longer roll pins, too.

Last edited:
Mscdirect.com. Tension roll pin or slotted spring pin. I bought 3/4- x 1/4-inch. Much easier. May buy 1 inch next time.

All you need is something to use as an alignment tool, so the collar and the air tube holes are aligned. Hold the pin with some narrow vice grips and hammer it in.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Yes. I just use a nail to align the holes.

Ask your Lopi dealer, if you want the tool. Mine said they could order it. They then told me it isn't needed.

Ask your Lopi dealer, if you want the tool. Mine said they could order it. They then told me it isn't needed.
I keep 2 of them in my tool bag. It’s hard to believe a dealer wouldn’t have some on hand. It does make it a lot easier, just not absolutely necessary.