Auto chimney cleaner

• Thread starter Thread starter nate379
  • Start date Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
only good for masonry chimney, sounds useless to me

Sure would be nice if there was something like this which wouldn't block a 6" stainless chimney.

Which reminds me......... there is something similar for an ss liner: (broken link removed)

"The BOZ Mechanical Chimney Sweep is a pulley-operated stainless steel brush that removes creosote buildup in metal chimneys in less than a minute.

When not being used, the brush is permanently stored in a special cap mounted at the top of the chimney above the smoke exit. The brush is moved through the chimney by a loop of stainless steel cable strung between two pulleys, one mounted at the top of the chimney, and one mounted at the bottom, near the smoke outlet of the stove. A hand crank attached to the bottom pulley operates the entire mechanism."

My uncle rigged a brush and weight on a cable on a pulley on top of he chimney. When it needed swept he would drop it down and bring it back up. One day he had got the brush stuck so he hooked it to his scout. When he pulled forward it tore his 2 story chimney off his home. These reminded me somewhat of his setup. But he also had duct tape on his flue pipe which was galvanized and a piece of a leather belt for a hinge on his draft control on his woodfurnace. I'm surprised they never burnt the house down. Since having a rigid liner installed down and up and that's it. Makes things much easier.

They are a bit pricey but I can see where this would be great for some folks. Especially those who have such steep roofs and tall chimneys to work with and also for those "older" folks or handicapped. Thankfully, although I can fit into either of those categories, I can still handle the task but ours is very easy to clean and we don't have to clean it very often.

Thanks to Nate and Shari for posting this.

Yeah some roofs are near impossible to climb. I know a few homes with 30-35ft chimneys on 10/12 or steeper roofs. The metal chimneys aren't common in Maine... well at least where I grew up. They are called "trailer chimneys" and are normally considered a temp or hack install. Fine for an ice fishing shack or house trailer but about it.

It's weird because around these parts it's not common to have a brick and liner chimney. I have seen a few but I think the cost of brick makes it uneconomical.

I've thought about something like the boz since I have a 35' chimney that goes up past a 12/12 pitch roof. I currently have to clean from the bottom up most of the time. That would sure be handy in the winter time.

If you are talking about the price on the Boz, here's their ordering page: (broken link removed)

$399 for 8"

$389 for 6"

I used to see this guy at the Bangor Home Show . . . haven't seen him for a while though.

As mentioned . . . might be useful for folks with masonry chimneys -- and there are still a lot of folks here in the area still using masonry chimneys -- and coincidentally enough many of them are the ones using the smoke dragons . . . but not all that useful for folks with liners or Class A chimneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.