Auger won't shut OFF- help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty_shackleford

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
pacific northwest
first of all I'd like to apoligize in advance for any spelling or puncuation errors. You see my hands are cold because my house is cold because my Whitfield Quest is shut down!

The problem began with what I thought was a failing auger motor. It had been groaning for awhile so when it finally quit turning I decided to replace it temporarily with the auger motor from the Advantage II out in my shop. Since the electrical connections didn't match I made a couple short jumper wires (spades on both ends) to match things up. What I didn't notice though was one of the dangling wires was in contact with the edge of the stove. Sure enough when I plugged it in there was a nice spark! Now the replacement motor works but it turns constantly. I put the old motor back in and it turns constantly too. Also, the auger motor light is always on now and the auger on/off button won't shut the auger off. The only way to kill it is to unplug the stove.

It was the black wire off the auger motor that grounded out for an instant. My research shows that wire first goes to the High Limit Switch, changes to brown between the HLS and the Vacuum Switch, then brown to the control board.

My worst fear is that the control board was damaged when the black wire grounded out for a second. Anybody here have any suggestions? thanks - RS

Off the top of my head you did something to the control board.

Eric

New control board, you fried yours.

You probably fried the triac that controls the auger feed on the board.

Cheap part if you know how to solder.

Did you have a surge protector? If not, That might be the reason the control board might be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.