Auger Motor Problem...please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bitz

Dec 16, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello all,
I have a quadra fire castile pellet stove and the auger has stopped working. I have tried a few things troubleshooting with no success. I have bypassing the vacuum switch and snap disc#2 and had no luck. I also tested with my multimeter and only have 4 volts a/c coming from the red wire that connects to the vacuum switch. Am I on the right track assuming the problem must be with the control box that my voltage is so low? I am testing off the red wire when I first turn on the thermostat as the auger normally runs for the first 60 seconds. I have also tried unplugging the control box and reseating it and that has not worked. Does any have other things to check? Or is it possibly just the control box?
Thank you

Have you tested the auger Motor ?

Reactions: kappel15
Is the red call light coming on, and is the exhaust fan coming on? Is this a newer stove that has a hopper switch that shuts off the auger when hopper lid is open? Can you tell if the auger motor is reversing instead of not coming on? Could be the capacitor if that is the case, and would need a capacitor jumper. Are there any lights on in control box? If an amber or yellow light is on, the firepot thermocouple could be bad or not sensing things. Check wire harness connections, and test thermocouple to see if it is good or not..kap

I haven't yet because I was thinking I should have close to 110 volts off the red wire when it is isolated from everything else. As this wire comes directly from the control box and it wires before going into the motor. That is how the wiring digram looks in my manual if i am reading it correct. Looks like it is wired from control box to vacuum switch on the red wire then from vacuum switch to snap disk#2 on the orange wire then from snap disk#2 to the motor on the black wire. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know I could do a seperate test and wire directly to the motor to test but I'm thinking my problem may be before the motor.

As expensive as control boxes are, it pays to check other options first. And always remember to unplug stove before installing or removing ac control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

This stove does not have a hopper sensor. I have a blue light that blinks a few times when first plugged into power on the control box. Exhaust fan is coming on when powered on. Red call light also comes on when thermostat is turned on. Auger motor does nothing almost like it has no power.

If you know someone with another Quad stove that uses the 3 speed control box, you can try it in their stove. Or if there is a dealer that can test it or try it in one of their stoves. Best way to tell. By following the power as you are doing, seems to be only thing left. kap

If I end up purchasing a control box is there anything special I need to do when installing a new one? Or is it just a swap, remove the old and plug in the new. I did see comments from Kap to make sure to have the stove unplugged from power when working on the control box. Thanks again.

Just swap and remember to unplug stove first. And when you get it, there is a small dial on end of box. Make sure it is set to your stove. kap