Auger Motor burning out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Worble7

Dec 29, 2018
Fremont, Ca
Hello All,
Well my first post here. So, I picked up a 2006 Harman Accentra Insert Free and the owner told me that a service tech. worked on it and they said he did not look like he know what he was doing I see cut wires he spliced back so I think they may be right. The problem with the stove was auger not working so the service guy replaced the auger motor and owner said in 5 sec. it stopped (burned out)? So, my first step I think should be to pull the auger motor and see if it works if so, I'm guessing to check the vacuum switch (Where he cut the wires)? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

Last edited:
Well So there's no auger motor on the unit is it worth even fixing up a 12 year old stove?? Thanks Jeff

Welcome Warble7. Im not very well versed on harman’s im sure you’ll see some of the Harman folks pop in and give you some tips. While your waiting i would google the stove and find the manual and check every wire and make sure its where it’s supposed to be.

Welcome Warble7. Im not very well versed on harman’s im sure you’ll see some of the Harman folks pop in and give you some tips. While your waiting i would google the stove and find the manual and check every wire and make sure its where it’s supposed to be.
Thanks that's a real good idea I will check wires. Also does the auger have a motor mount like this or is that freestanding models only? Thanks again for your help. Jeff

Attachments

• Auger Motor burning out
    Auger motor mount.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 84
Well,that insert would probably be worth 1k to 1600 running,more in other parts of the country.
Hello Bob,
The only part I'm worried about is if the board is smoking the auger motor? I wish the tech had left the motor there so I could do some testing not sure if he knows what hes doing. Yes a good deal if I can get it running with out spending 1000 to fix it :).Thanks Jeff

Thanks that's a real good idea I will check wires. Also does the auger have a motor mount like this or is that freestanding models only? Thanks again for your help. Jeff
Yours should have that,as I am assuming it is an older insert,pre 2014.The grommets go bad sometimes.

Probe auger wires with a voltmeter,make sure door and hopper are shut,turn knob to "test",full house voltage should cycle on and off.Note,combustion fan will run in test,and room fan will cycle on and off.Be careful,125 volts A/C.

Probe auger wires with a voltmeter,make sure door and hopper are shut,turn knob to "test",full house voltage should cycle on and off.Note,combustion fan will run in test,and room fan will cycle on and off.Be careful,125 volts A/C.
Bob,
Ya its a 2006 Harman Accentra Pellet Insert. So you are talking about putting the feed adjuster to TEST correct? What should the other knobs be set toor does this override everything else? I have the original manual and it's a little different than the now one so I scanned the page. I will run that test tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help. :) Jeff

Attachments

• ESP Controls Page 8.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Bob,
Ya its a 2006 Harman Accentra Pellet Insert. So you are talking about putting the feed adjuster to TEST correct? What should the other knobs be set toor does this override everything else? I have the original manual and it's a little different than the now one so I scanned the page. I will run that test tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help. :) Jeff
Yes.Test mode will run all 3 motors,and check the vac switch.Also,many run in test mode,while cleaning stove,as it will suck out ash,BUT,control boards have been ruined,as some vacs create lots of static electricity.

Yes.Test mode will run all 3 motors,and check the vac switch.Also,many run in test mode,while cleaning stove,as it will suck out ash,BUT,control boards have been ruined,as some vacs create lots of static electricity.
Ahhhh good to know. So bob if there's a short that's killing the motors like the pervious said what should I be looking for on the meter? Thanks Jeff

I see no way a short could ruin the motor.A restricted auger,a bad auger bearing,could.A bad ground,or poor connection on the power side of motor could,but,would happen over a period of time.I suspect the stove has a bad vac switch,bad control board,or a gasket problem.Before you do test,inspect all wiring,from control board,to vac switch,and auger motor,heck,check all wiring,there is not that much wiring on that unit.Pull control panel,sometimes they rub through where the wiring goes through the rubber grommet.If all looks well,remove pellets from auger,see that it spins free.Then preform the test.If you do not get voltage to auger motor,put a jumper/bypass on the vac switch wires,see if it changes.That should be enough to keep you busy for a few hours,lol.

I see no way a short could ruin the motor.A restricted auger,a bad auger bearing,could.A bad ground,or poor connection on the power side of motor could,but,would happen over a period of time.I suspect the stove has a bad vac switch,bad control board,or a gasket problem.Before you do test,inspect all wiring,from control board,to vac switch,and auger motor,heck,check all wiring,there is not that much wiring on that unit.Pull control panel,sometimes they rub through where the wiring goes through the rubber grommet.If all looks well,remove pellets from auger,see that it spins free.Then preform the test.If you do not get voltage to auger motor,put a jumper/bypass on the vac switch wires,see if it changes.That should be enough to keep you busy for a few hours,lol.
Lol Thanks I will report back. Thanks Jeff

Reactions: Mt Bob
OK Here's the report:
Checked wires they look OK. Set to test mode and plugged it in the combustion motor runs on high speed and distribution motor starts on high speed auger motor power reads 118-119 then after about 1 min distribution motor goes to low speed and combustion motor slows a little auger drops down to 94-93 volts and when the distribution motor cycles again auger never goes back up. hope this helps you. Also I checked the vacuum switch when auger was reading 119-118 then I unplugged the vacuum wire and the reading dropped all the way down. Thanks Jeff
If you want pics of anything let me know.

Sure sounds like bad board.When auger turns off,voltage should go to 0,just like when you unplugged vac switch.Constant low/improper voltage can take out a motor fast.

Thanks Bob I will order the motor also I'm sandblasting the cast iron what color black do they use? Thanks Jeff

oops I meant control board OK on the paint I think I read satin black stove bright. A few more questions now that I have dug into the stove they had a pipe pressing against the combustion door because the wingnuts or bolts holding it must have broke off do you clean inside the box? (Pic included) And do they make a replacement gasket? Also I can't slide the bottom rail its rusted or frozen any ideas (can't get to distribution fan). Thanks Jeff
Auger Motor burning out
Auger Motor burning out

You will have to probably cut out/remove some of the white stove side gasket,as that is what seals it.Then you can purchase a piece of flat stove gasket material,and cut out a section.Will work fine.If you cannot drill out the broken bolts,you may have to drill a few holes,and use some sheet metal screws.Should have fixed the slide before install,it is really cruddy.You may have to ignore the slides until you have time to disassemble stove,repair,and clean/fix rust.

Bob,
Not planing on getting stove in this year just up and running and ready for install in spring. Should I cover the stuff I don't want to sandblast then sandblast as much rust as I can? It bugs me I can't get to the distribution fan.Thanks for your help Jeff

Last edited: