Attn Englander owners: thermostat usage opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA
Was wonder how you like running your Englander pellet stoves on a thermostat. Opinions for and against both welcome.

I was planning on running it with a programmable 'stat once the real cold weather sets in, and staying in manual until then.

How difficult is it to reverse it, if you want to run in manual mode with a thermostat is hooked up. Do you have to take it apart again and remove the 'stat wires and replace the jumper?

orangecrushcj7 said:
Was wonder how you like running your Englander pellet stoves on a thermostat. Opinions for and against both welcome.

I was planning on running it with a programmable 'stat once the real cold weather sets in, and staying in manual until then.

How difficult is it to reverse it, if you want to run in manual mode with a thermostat is hooked up. Do you have to take it apart again and remove the 'stat wires and replace the jumper?

I connected a tstat in early Oct and so far so good. a majority of the time the stove is just idling because it's keeping the house at the preset temp. I would think that I will burn less fuel this year seeing as how the stove goes down to low when heat isn't needed.

To reverse it you could either remove the wires and replace the jumper, or wire nut the end at the thermostat. I don't plan on removing my thermostat anytime soon, it works too well :)

does the stove have to be on 9/9 for when the 'stat calls for heat? i would rather use 4/4.

what is the setting for when it is "idling", is it 1/1? do you know if the LFF and LBA are when in this idle mode?

You want it on 9/9 because when heat is called for pellets are dropped in at their high setting. If the fan setting were any lower you could have an over fire. You have to remember that this model stove is a low end stove, and we don't have all of the bells and whistles of the more expensive brands out there.

Whatever your current settings are for LFF and LBA is what they'll be when on the tstat. I just adjusted mine to burn the brand of pellets I have as cleanly and as thouroghly as possible.

I hope this helped.

I think you misread what i asked. i know you need to have the room blower as high or higher than the heat setting. I wanted to know if the heat setting has to be on 9, or if you can set it to whatever you want, say 4.

I didn't misread, just didn't think first. I would imagine that if the pellet feed is set for 4 then your fan could certainly be set for 4 without any problems. To be sure you may want to fire off an email to Englander. Better safe than sorry.

Rap. what kind of stat are you using? I ask because I'm thinking about installing one on my stove and I'd like to be sure to get one that works well with an Englander.

pegdot said:
Rap. what kind of stat are you using? I ask because I'm thinking about installing one on my stove and I'd like to be sure to get one that works well with an Englander.

Pegdot,

I use the RiteTemp 5-1-1 progamable Model 6022 from Home Depot for $29. So far it seems to be working great, and hopefully it saves pellets.

Rick

rap69ri said:
pegdot said:

Pegdot,

I use the RiteTemp 5-1-1 progamable Model 6022 from Home Depot. So far it seems to be working great, and hopefully it saves pellets.

Rick

Peg, any thermostat will work...they are just on/off switches. Buy one that is in your price range and has the "features" you want (big display, lighted dial, more programming options, etc. I bought the Lux PSP511LA for around $25 online, and it works great. Here's a listing I saw: www.buyplumbing.net/?pg=pd&_i=PSP511LA&shopping;

Follow up: For the future reference of others

I had question about the thermostat. I emailed Mike Holton of England's Stove Works.

Mike,
I have a question about thermostats. I just put one on mine, it is a Rite Temp programmable from home depot. How does the stove operate once hooked up? I have it on 9/9 right now, and the home air temperature is below the thermostat setting, so it is calling for heat. However, when I turned the thermostat temp down below the air temp to see if it would turn the stove down, it still appeared to be in 9/9. Does the room blower turn down along with the feed rate when the thermostat is not calling for heat? or does it stay on 9 regardless? I'll post your replies on the forum.

Thanks,
Justin

and here is his reply:

the unit will modulate between the heat range you select on the board and its lowest range. essentially if you set the unit at heat range 9 then the stove will run at 9 until the t-stat says "ok thats enough" then the unit drops to its lowest heat range (the blower does not drop) later when the room cools and the t-stat calls for heat then the unit will revert back to running at 9 (or whatever heat range you select on the board. it doesnt shut down and start up its a "high /low " function

Dumb Question time....Are you guys saying you can hook up any thermostat to an Englander stove bought in the last couple years?

are there directions somewhere on how to do the hook up?
where do you run the thermostat to (how far from stove ) ?

It is in the installation manual, and on thier website.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/External_Thermostat_Hookup.html

you just hook up the 2 wires from the thermostat to the jumper on the back of the control board that is labeled thermostat. It sayts no more than 14' away for the thermostat. I am usure where this number comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.