Attaching wood insert to liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ruuddawg41

Nov 14, 2020
Washington
I got a Lennox c210 and wanting to make sure I am safely attaching the insert to liner. I am new to wood stove life and wanting to do it right the first time. Thanks
Attaching wood insert to liner

I got a Lennox c210 and wanting to make sure I am safely attaching the insert to liner. I am new to wood stove life and wanting to do it right the first time. Thanks
View attachment 266813
You can't use that black pipe elbow it needs to be stainless

great to know- also the round cast iron flange from top of stove to that black pipe doesn't bolt into place- am I good to hi temp silicone it to stove?
Nope. Not high enough temp and mechanical fasteners are required

I cannot believe how much is involved in these inserts and their install, not to mention how expensive liners and liner insulation is!!
Good job on going with insulation

I actually didn't could only afford liner... does insulation make a huge difference?
So how are you hooking it up?

Yes it does. It is also almost always required by code

So how are you hooking it up?

Yes it does. It is also almost always required by code
I was going to hook it up with the insert boot adapter: then to that positive flue connector ring/kit and use furnace cement to seal. I need to find that ring kit. I got excited by a good deal so I thought on a used insert with surround w/ blower and liner and now I really need to decide if I want to go through with it or maybe just repost to sell on craigslist

I was going to hook it up with the insert boot adapter: then to that positive flue connector ring/kit and use furnace cement to seal. I need to find that ring kit. I got excited by a good deal so I thought on a used insert with surround w/ blower and liner and now I really need to decide if I want to go through with it or maybe just repost to sell on craigslist
What size is your flue? And does it have the required clearances

think flue is an 8"x8" and liner is 6" round, not sure about required clearances...
I seriously doubt a fireplace flue is 8x8. Chimneys for use with woodburning appliances need for an internal chimney 2" from the outside of the masonry chimney to combustible materials. For external ones it is 1"

it's about 13" x 13" on exterior edges, so guess you're probably right, must be bigger than 8 x 8
That is way to large the flue gasses will expand quickly causing cooling which will create creosote and severely compromise draft

What you have pictured is a correct option, but make sure that for your installation you need the elbow. If the alignment is good you might be able to take the liner right down to that appliance adapter and into the flue collar with no elbow. That will save a bit. Screw through the flue collar into the appliance adapter with 3/4" sheet metal screws.

What you have pictured is a correct option, but make sure that for your installation you need the elbow. If the alignment is good you might be able to take the liner right down to that appliance adapter and into the flue collar with no elbow. That will save a bit. Screw through the flue collar into the appliance adapter with 3/4" sheet metal screws.
Thanks it'll be close the liner it came with is 12' long and real close to being long enough- I might also be able to use a 1 foot long straight stainless pipe just in case as I guess the black doesn't handle as high of heat. I need to get a different collar that can be fastened to stove as the one that came with the used insert can't be fastened only silicone-d. Guess I also need to look into insulating the liner...

So as of now- looks like I need to order insulation for liner which I found a place that has 15' long as well as a place that does 5' & 10 foot sections- my liner is 12' so no need to pay for 25' I am also amazed by how elusive a positive flue connector ring kit (part #71161) is to find for Ironstrike/Lennox c210 insert, still trying to find a place that has one in stock!!

So as of now- looks like I need to order insulation for liner which I found a place that has 15' long as well as a place that does 5' & 10 foot sections- my liner is 12' so no need to pay for 25' I am also amazed by how elusive a positive flue connector ring kit (part #71161) is to find for Ironstrike/Lennox c210 insert, still trying to find a place that has one in stock!!
PUMPED- Found a positive flue connector kit at Hearth & Grill Sales LLC out of Tennesee!!

PUMPED- Found a positive flue connector kit at Hearth & Grill Sales LLC out of Tennesee!!
Ok that doesn't change the fact that the flue is way to large. Have you even had atleast a level 2 inspection done on the flue?

I am also amazed by how elusive a positive flue connector ring kit (part #71161) is to find for Ironstrike/Lennox c210 insert, still trying to find a place that has one in stock!!
What is currently on the stove in the picture that you posted. It looks like a flue collar.

What is currently on the stove in the picture that you posted. It looks like a flue collar.
It is a flue collar but it is one for a Buck stove and doesn’t mechanically attach to the stove- would have to like silicone it or something. This used stove process is like an onion keep peeling away the layers.,,
Ok that doesn't change the fact that the flue is way to large. Have you even had atleast a level 2 inspection done on the flue?
no inspection yet- aren’t I good if I get 1/2 “insulation- wrap liner and install- 6 “ liner with another 1” of insulation??

Got it. It sounds like you might need the proper start collar. But first, what is the exact diameter of the flue hole on the top of the stove with the Buck collar removed? How well does the existing liner connector fit into there? If the fit is close, then it may be usable with some rope gasket sealing any gap. It would get attached to the stove with 3 L brackets

The liner will be ok if wrapped with the insulation blanket. The chimney and smoke shelf will need to be thoroughly cleaned before installation. Do you have the top plate and cap for the chimney top?

Last edited: