Astroflamm Integra Convection Fan Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charlie2019

Nov 16, 2019
Berlin, CT
I have a free standing astroflamm integra pellet stove. 2 years ago I moved to a new home and took my stove with me. It sat in my garage for 2 years until I finally remodeled my basement and now installed it there. Everything works good except the convection fan. It does not respond to a change in speed when I lower or raise the settings on the user control board. The fan is getting a constant voltage between 107 - 108 volts AC regardless of what speed setting it is on. It also seems to be spinning fairly slow for that amount of voltage. For max it should be 95 V +/- 10%. I have another astroflamm intergra insert that works well and I swapped user control boards but the same is still happening on the free standing one. Could it be a faulty main control board or is it a faulty convection fan motor? The convection fan does run on plain 110 V wall AC but seems to spin slow. I guess my next step tommorow is to swap convection fans with my other working integra and see if the issue is the fan or not. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

my bet is the blower. sitting for 2 years will corrode things up. might need a little oil is all.

So I swapped convection fans out from my working integra to test on the freestanding one. Same issue, the convection fan runs with a little higher RPM than the other one but still does not change speeds when I try to raise or lower the speed setting. Should I try replacing the Eprom chip before changing out the entire main board? Thanks.

so you still need a new control board? or will astroflamm sell just the eprom?

so you still need a new control board? or will astroflamm sell just the eprom?

You could find just the eprom online. I was about to replace the whole board but figured I'd take the known good eprom out of my other integra and put it in the board that wasn't working to troubleshoot exactly what's wrong. Glad I did, new boards are about $400 while the chip goes for around $50.

that's cool. but it also tells me they know there's an issue somewhere lol. when you get your new one could you pull the sticker off the bad chip and post a picture of the top with the numbers. i curious of the type of chip they use

that's cool. but it also tells me they know there's an issue somewhere lol. when you get your new one could you pull the sticker off the bad chip and post a picture of the top with the numbers. i curious of the type of chip they use

Sure thing. My chip that went bad has a sticker on it that says "ST V2.5a 960207" so that's eprom version 2.5a. I can post a picture later for more reference. It's not directly from Austroflamm, I had to order one off of ebay. Couldn't find a replacement anywhere else but I guess that's to be expected for a 20 year old stove lol.

Does anyone happen to know what fuse is needed for the austroflamm integra? The fuse that is on the user control board. I've heard 2.0 amp but I see some that are 3.15 amp online.

It should be marked on your old fuse. Might need a magnifying glass

It should be marked on your old fuse. Might need a magnifying glass

Issue is I lost the original a while ago and just put in a random one that fit temporarily. It's about 5 amps. Could be why the eprom chip went bad in the first place had a few power surges at my old place lol. It doesnt say in the manual which amperage to use.

yeah i see 3.15amp is common but if you have 2amp handy i would use them

So I'm having more issues with my convection fan but this time on my other older Integra Insert. The fan was making a rattling noise so I took the fan out, took it apart and greased the bushings and the washers on the motor shaft too. I put it back together. The noise is gone but now the convection fan surges when running. It starts good and runs on high speed but then the fan RPMs go down after a few mins even though I dont change the rheostat setting from high. Does anyone know what the spacing should be in the convection motor assembly with regards to those washers on the motor shaft? It seems like some washers are missing or maybe someone added extra washers (bought this stove from someone last year). Either I dont have the spacing right when I put the motor back together or the motor is just failing. Any suggestions?

the washers/spacers on the armature shaft are to center the armature in the motor housing?fixed magnets. if it isn't centered it would run slow or have strange harmonics. the windings inside the motor are probably going bad. age and heat cook the coated wire and they begin to short out throwing the magnetic field into a type of heuristics that as it continues to run progressively worsens. you could try a test cord and plug into the wall and let it run for a few min to rule out the control board and other components.

Issue is I lost the original a while ago and just put in a random one that fit temporarily. It's about 5 amps. Could be why the eprom chip went bad in the first place had a few power surges at my old place lol. It doesnt say in the manual which amperage to use.

In the manual under safety a 2amp 250 v fuse is required
So I'm having more issues with my convection fan but this time on my other older Integra Insert. The fan was making a rattling noise so I took the fan out, took it apart and greased the bushings and the washers on the motor shaft too. I put it back together. The noise is gone but now the convection fan surges when running. It starts good and runs on high speed but then the fan RPMs go down after a few mins even though I dont change the rheostat setting from high. Does anyone know what the spacing should be in the convection motor assembly with regards to those washers on the motor shaft? It seems like some washers are missing or maybe someone added extra washers (bought this stove from someone last year). Either I dont have the spacing right when I put the motor back together or the motor is just failing. Any suggestions?

There are no washers on convection fan, however a bushing is needed on the right hand side of fan. the fan with bushing really just lines up when installed on the fan mount. I change mine every 2 seasons

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's time to replace the fan. Is there any difference between the integra I and integra II fan? I see the integra II fan is also compatible with the integra I just have to use the old mount. Any difference in how quiet they operate?

Another question about replacing the cast iron door rope gasket. I noticed the manual says not to gasket the top edge of the cast iron door and the top of the door glass for the air wash. My freestanding integra stove came with the cast iron door having a full perimeter gasket going all around with no gap for airwash. It was bought from a dealer years ago, did they do it wrong? The glass however does have a gap. When replacing the door gasket should I leave a gap at the top of the cast iron door or full perimeter like it came? The manual says"

"The cast iron door and door glass are gasketed on all edges except along the top edge"

Or I am confusing what the manual is saying and its referring to just the space between the cast iron door and the glass and not the 1/2" rope that goes around the door itself?

Last edited: