Asking for advice on re-doing window stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

CT Treeman

Feb 25, 2024
Connecticut
Hi fellas,

With burning season almost upon us in the north east I am looking to redo what the contractor did when installing our stove. He opted to go through a basement window which we were fine with.

My concerns are that it lets heat out like crazy around the pipe. The old window frame is shot. Nothing is tight by any means. I would also like to install a fresh air intake to the right of it in the other window spot. All the wood nonsense I want to go. Some of it was already there and some was from when he supported the pipe and metal around it. All this is far enough from the stove based upon combustible clearances and the pipe as you can see is double wall.

Perhaps I am missing something with how close the pipe is to the wood framing and would like to hear that if it is the case.

My thoughts are that I can brick up the entire window opening and leave large enough openings to run the pipes through. Then mortar around the pipes to seal them in place and stop any other outside air flow.

I bought an outside air kit for the stove because of negative pressure in the house occasionally drawing smoke into the basement prior to a hot flue on start up.

Does anyone have any better ideas or suggestions for this?

[Hearth.com] Asking for advice on re-doing window stove pipe