Ashford 30.2 install thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

xshmoox

Nov 1, 2015
Bucks Co., Pa
Hey all. Going to chronicle my install of the Ashford 30.2 in enamel brown I have on order. Was originally going to go with supervent system but wall thimble wasn’t deep enough to reach through the wall. So after doing a little digging, I landed on the AllFuelHST system. I liked that they used 304 on the inner liner and exterior, should hold up for a long time. Placed order on Sunday evening and received everything on Wednesday. Got started with the hole for the wall thimble which I had to go through brick. Thought it was going to suck to do but only took about an hour and a half.

[Hearth.com] Ashford 30.2 install thread

I used the same method to o through a plaster wall. Only difference is I drilled many more holes along the circle. Next I used a drywall keyhole saw to connect the dots. A saws all would have vibrated the wall to much inducing breakage.

Nice to see a build thread. I like these threads. Following.....

Edit/add on: Love the BKs. Ashfords and Princesses are my favorites.

There was many more holes than that I just forgot to take another picture. I’m hoping to get that mounted and get the tee support and tee mounted tomorrow, possibly run a few pieces up. Anyone have a preference of what to use to anchor the tee support to a brick wall that won’t pull out or break the brick?

Standard support with masonry anchor bolts?

Possibly inject epoxy into any hollow spots....

Was able to get the tee brace mounted, had a little mishap must have shifted the brace when I was marking off the holes for the sleeve anchors accidentally without noticing. Luckily I was able to drill a few new holes in the mount to get it where I needed it. And luckily it’s on the side of the house with the pool equipment that I don’t really look at all that much anyways. But also ran into I need a longer piece to go through the thimble. Idk if they changed their tee brace brackets or whatnot but after looking even with a flat wall the standard wall brackets for the pipe going up the wall wouldn’t work without packing the wall out. I have an email in to them about it as it looks like I’ll need the adjustable ones. No big deal as I have stuff to do inside as I’m doing like a sort of shiplap wall behind the stove in the corner and the wall next to it where the tv will be so I have stuff to focus on in the meantime.

Made a little headway inside this weekend. Still have to change that outlet and cover out, stove should probably block it anyways. The rest of the walls will be a whiteish shiplap style. Also the pipe going outside will be 6 inches shorter than that as I hooked up my 2 foot piece temporarily til I get the 18” one in.

Reactions: all night moe
Was able to just about finish up the wall have to rip a couple pieces down to fit down at the floor. Also have to cut the hole back out for the thimble and get that permanently installed. The right length class a piece came for the through the wall kit as well as the adjustable brackets so might be able to get some work done tomorrow and Saturday morning. Still waiting for stove to come in. I’m hoping any day now. Good news is I finally got a good new tv. Went with the Sony Bravia 8. Was going to go with the Samsung s90D per all the reviews, but to me the Bravia looked like a better picture in the store.

Got finished up with work early today and was able to get the thimble completed, everything siliconed and sealed up, and started on the outside pipe and braces. I’m just gonna whack that electrical service out of the way with my chainsaw, I don’t need that crap.
I’d really like to finish it up the outside piping this weekend since weather will be good but have a birthday party Saturday and wife works all day Sunday so we will see.
I had to go in that wall cavity where I did because if you look at the pipe on the outside right on the right side of the thimble was another stud so if I went the next bay over I’d have to offset the pipe outside to miss the window and the service at the roof peak. We don’t really utilize those windows for any kind of view as they look down at the neighbors driveway and garage anyways so not a big deal with the pipe being there. Have 11 feet up outside so far. Then I have a elbow kit to get me over with another 2 foot piece. Than it will be another 4 foot piece hopefully will be just enough to get me up as high as I need to be over the peak. It will be close but I have a 1 foot section I was going to return from the thimble if I need it just to get it higher if the 4 foot isn’t enough.

Got finished up with work early today and was able to get the thimble completed, everything siliconed and sealed up, and started on the outside pipe and braces. I’m just gonna whack that electrical service out of the way with my chainsaw, I don’t need that crap.
I’d really like to finish it up the outside piping this weekend since weather will be good but have a birthday party Saturday and wife works all day Sunday so we will see.
I had to go in that wall cavity where I did because if you look at the pipe on the outside right on the right side of the thimble was another stud so if I went the next bay over I’d have to offset the pipe outside to miss the window and the service at the roof peak. We don’t really utilize those windows for any kind of view as they look down at the neighbors driveway and garage anyways so not a big deal with the pipe being there. Have 11 feet up outside so far. Then I have a elbow kit to get me over with another 2 foot piece. Than it will be another 4 foot piece hopefully will be just enough to get me up as high as I need to be over the peak. It will be close but I have a 1 foot section I was going to return from the thimble if I need it just to get it higher if the 4 foot isn’t enough.
View attachment 330618

View attachment 330617
When you Whack the service use a dull chain. You'll get more sparks.

Do you have any tree's between the power pole and the house that could fall and hit the service line? I only ask because being the in business, I've seen service get ripped down, taking the service entrance cable with it and that could cause the chimney to all come down, and we you dont want to be burning while all of that potential is going on.

Do you have any tree's between the power pole and the house that could fall and hit the service line? I only ask because being the in business, I've seen service get ripped down, taking the service entrance cable with it and that could cause the chimney to all come down, and we you dont want to be burning while all of that potential is going on.
Nope I actually don’t own a single tree lol and neighbors trees nothing close to power lines. And I just had my service upgraded to 200 amps so that’s all good for a long while

Was able to get up and finish up the pipe work outside this weekend. I might have a little adjustment of the elbows to do to get it to sit dead nuts level. It’s a bit of a pain with the window location and service location. Was just wondering if you guys would throw the roof support on or no? That last piece is a 4ft piece so with the cap I’d say it’s close to 4ft over the roofline.

What's your total chimney height? If I recall correctly, BKs want a min of 15'? If you need more chimney, add the roof brace. It would not hurt to add it anyways, as is. Especially if your house sees high winds.

BTW, I'm a bit in envy of BK owners. I was told some 20yrs ago to get one. Shop owner knew I was looking for a used stove and recommended to find one, if I could. Oddly he wasn't a dealer for BK but, he kept one fired up in his little store for heat.

I have just about 17 foot outside and I’ll have about 3-4 feet inside so I’m figuring 21 feet total. I’m figuring with the 15 degree elbows which should only subtract a foot, then the tee and 2-45 degrees inside I should be just about right there. I do have another 1 foot piece I could add I was going to send back. I have a roof brace here already so I’m hoping the stove comes soon and I can test it out on shoulder season weather to see if I’ll be needing to add any.

Actually just got home. And granted it’s about as windy as it gets here today. Pipe will have a little movement it looks like, it’s not going all over the place or anything. And really can’t notice unless you’re on the roof next to it. The draw through the chimney is pretty wild. I know it’s just an open pipe on the inside but I just wanted to test I blew a candle out a foot away from the opening and it was drawing all the smoke in. I’m just going to hold on to everything til I get the stove and run a test In mild weather. I’d rather it be controllable without a pipe damper than have to add one because I have too much pipe. We do get some wind pretty consistently through here so I have a feeling the draw will be pretty good. I’ll probably even check it with my digital manometer after I get the stove hooked up