Ashford 20.2 install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Nz3000owner

Apr 11, 2018
CT
Just installing my 20.2. This is my second ashford. I installed my first one in my house in CT about 7 years ago and sold the house this last year. This new install is in my new place in MT. My question is I have a duravent 6” single wall telescoping pipe to connect to the top of the stove and the pice coming down from the ceiling in new construction. The tescoping pipe is not a tight fit against the pice hanging from the ceiling and the into the stove I had to use a flat head screw drive to tap it in and get it inside the top of the stove. None of it seems to fit right. I ran my first fire in it last night after I got it together and it just doesn’t seem to fit like my set up was in CT. I have the same set up other than it’s a 6” pipe on the 20 and I used 8” on my 30 in Ct.

The manual calls for a stove top adapter and I called the dealer I bought it from and they said no just push the telescoping piece into the top of the stove it will fit. Well it doesn’t seem right to me. How are guys connecting single wall to the stove top? Thanks.

The crimp might have been a bit more aggressive on the other install pipe. A crimping tool can be used to deepen the crimp on the 6" if necessary.
FWIW, most installs on BK stoves use double-walled stove pipe per the manual's recommendation.

If there are no clear leaks sucking in air, but it's tight, I'd be okay with that. Better tight than gapped...

And yes, doule wall is much better.
How tall is the flue, stove top to cap, and how much of that is outside?

If there are no clear leaks sucking in air, but it's tight, I'd be okay with that. Better tight than gapped...

And yes, doule wall is much better.
How tall is the flue, stove top to cap, and how much of that is outside?
The upper pipe joint is sucking air. There is about 7-8’ out of the roof. Total length is about 16-17 feet straight up no bends.

[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install

Yes, that doesn't look right. Is that all of the same brand?

On one side it seems snug but in the other there's a gap.
Are they centered properly?

If all else fails you can work with a rope gasket, but if it's the same brand/system, it should fit better than this.

16-17' straight up is nice.

Yes, that doesn't look right. Is that all of the same brand?

On one side it seems snug but in the other there's a gap.
Are they centered properly?

If all else fails you can work with a rope gasket, but if it's the same brand/system, it should fit better than this.

16-17' straight up is nice.
Yup Druravent all from the same store. It doesn’t seem right to me also based on my last stove but that was quite awhile ago I did that one. I’ll prob have to pull it apart again and look at it.

Reactions: stoveliker
The top section is wrong. By the UT/ST label it looks like Selkirk Ultra Temp with the 2" clearance spec. If so, that is chimney pipe.

Note: The interior piping really should have been done in double-walled stove pipe, type DVL if using DuraVent pipe.

Reactions: stoveliker
Such a nice stove and critical application to save a buck with single wall.

Such a nice stove and critical application to save a buck with single wall.
[Hearth.com] Ashford 20.2 install
This was my 30 I installed myself as well with single wall pipe and a 28’ total pipe length 7 years ago with no issues. The manual recommends double wall but doesn’t say it’s mandatory. If I’m wrong please show me where that’s stated. I don’t use single wall to save a buck I use it to get max heat into the room. On my 30 install I could get more than 24 hr burns during shoulder season as primary heat in a 3200 sq feet house. Never more than 2 cups of ash when cleaning the pipe at the end of the burning season on roughly 3 cords a season burned.

Reactions: GG Woody
View attachment 331139
This was my 30 I installed myself as well with single wall pipe and a 28’ total pipe length 7 years ago with no issues. The manual recommends double wall but doesn’t say it’s mandatory. If I’m wrong please show me where that’s stated. I don’t use single wall to save a buck I use it to get max heat into the room. On my 30 install I could get more than 24 hr burns during shoulder season as primary heat in a 3200 sq feet house. Never more than 2 cups of ash when cleaning the pipe at the end of the burning season on roughly 3 cords a season burned.

That install looks nice. Double wall isn’t mandatory. Neither is brushing your teeth. Both decisions have consequences.