Ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was across a walking trail so I decided to get part of it, I'm hoping it's ash, what are your thoughts for an ID.

After loading up some rounds, I notice the left tire was soft so we still have plenty of rounds back in near the trail and the whole section in picture 2026.

Attachments

• Ash?
    101_2021.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 431
  • Ash?
    101_2023.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 476
  • Ash?
    101_2024.JPG
    832.3 KB · Views: 494
  • Ash?
    101_2025.JPG
    985.8 KB · Views: 430
  • Ash?
    101_2026.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 447
  • Ash?
    101_2027.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 389
I will say yes. Looks like it's been standing dead for a minute.

Reactions: thewoodlands
x2

Might even be close to burn ready

Thanks everyone, I was hoping for that answer. I was told over five years ago by one of the bigger logging companies that EAB was already in the area but the DEC said no, this back hill holds a bunch of them.

Thanks everyone, I was hoping for that answer. I was told over five years ago by one of the bigger logging companies that EAB was already in the area but the DEC said no, this back hill holds a bunch of them.

Pull some bark off and you will know right away if there is EAB present. Doesn't affect burning so either way nice wood!

Pull some bark off and you will know right away if there is EAB present. Doesn't affect burning so either way nice wood!
I'll get some pictures of the bark off when I split it.

we have about a 1/2 inch of heavy wet stuff now and its still coming down pretty good, how about yourself?

we have about a 1/2 inch of heavy wet stuff now and its still coming down pretty good, how about yourself?
It's just starting to be snow with rain here but nothing on the ground, the roads could get icy tonight.

That is Ash. On the rounds that the bark fell off look for zigzgags from EAB.

That is Ash. On the rounds that the bark fell off look for zigzgags from EAB.
This was the the first Ash we pulled out of a Maple, picture 1999 are some of the markings underneath the bark.
Ash?

Back just to the east of where I found the ash in my original post, we have five that I wanted down but there are some smaller Yellow Birch that are damaged that will need to come down first so I can fell the Ash , tomorrow will be a good day to start.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Ash. The cut end picture looks like the center and one side may be getting pithy, though.

Yep, Ash. There are a few borer holes I see in the first pictures. Not sure if that's EAB though. One way to tell the peckers pull at the bark on infected trees and leave light brown patches on the bark. If it has that, then it is infected with EAB.

I never did get back to the spot the yellow birch would need to be felled before the ash, with the storm coming in and the truck might be ready tomorrow at the dealers then I doubt the trees will get done tomorrow.

Nice ash score. That’s all I have been cutting this year, they are dying everywhere.

Nice ash score. That’s all I have been cutting this year, they are dying everywhere.
It seems that we have a bug after almost every tree that could or will kill it which sucks. We have some smaller ash trees that I plan on making a bat from, folk art?

Reactions: heavy hammer
It’s just how it seems to be with the ash, I don’t know how well the species will do because it seems like they are being killed off everywhere.