Ash vac review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
I`m one who has been using an existing shop vac , mine being at least 30 yrs old, for the past 8 yrs to clean out my stove . I had modified it with a secondary filter to prevent dust blowing out which is typical of the old shop vacs.
Anyway it was getting old and a PIA to clean out so I broke down and spent $58.99 for a Snow-Joe ash vac not expecting anything more than my money`s worth but to my surprise it is built quite well . Metal lined hose,metal wand , a metal bucket, pleated filter, metal filter screen and a heavy duty pre-filter bag and all with a neoprene gasket around the can. There`s even two safety micro switches which prevents the vac from operating if the filter and screen isn`t fully seated.
It`s much quieter than my old shop vac and seems much more powerful too.
The new model (mine) includes the pre-filter bag which was not included in previous model so it`s a $20 freebie IMO.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Joe-4-8-Gal-Ash-Vacuum-Cleaner-ASHJ201/204743053?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D29-Kitchen|&gclid=CjwKEAiAk7O0BRD9_Ka2w_PhwSkSJAAmKswxTQiSZhfq8VbnJ29B4C-fym_R580UrEwAv1gDmmUBjxoCo83w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I haven`t read anything here regarding the Snow-Joe . I originally planned to get the powersmith but Home Depot does not carry it anymore so I got this one from them, (internet sales only)
Free shipping to home or store.
Edit: I chose this one for multiple reasons. HD is just down the street from me and has a good return policy. I`ve read more than a few reviews where others have had to return their ash vacs for a variety of reasons just weeks or months after a purchase. If it happens to me I won`t have to go far. Another reason was no one I know around here stocks ash vacs.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackman
Status
Not open for further replies.