Ash Tray

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

gmpainter

Sep 9, 2024
Balsam Lake
Replacing all the fire brick in our Wood Stove. It came with a Ash Tray that had about 9 holes drilled into the firebrick and the metal under them to allow the ash to drop. I have found most times the holes get plugged and we just empty from the fire box. I have 2 knobs to allow air into the box. Are the holes needed in the firebrick for fresh air or just to allow the ash to fall down. I figure it's not need for air as when I get a good layer of ash the holes are all plugged up anyway. Thanks for any answers.

Replacing all the fire brick in our Wood Stove. It came with a Ash Tray that had about 9 holes drilled into the firebrick and the metal under them to allow the ash to drop. I have found most times the holes get plugged and we just empty from the fire box. I have 2 knobs to allow air into the box. Are the holes needed in the firebrick for fresh air or just to allow the ash to fall down. I figure it's not need for air as when I get a good layer of ash the holes are all plugged up anyway. Thanks for any answers.
A make and model of the stove would help as would pictures

The make is a Cobra made here near Toronto. They are not made anymore. Can't do a pic. Just took a look and 6 bricks each had 2 holes each cut to allow the ash to fall. The metal has holes under the brick to line up for the ash tray. And under the ash tray is another layer of steel. Just wondered if anyone else had replaced the bricks without doing the holes. Like I mentioned I don't believe the holes are there for air intake as most times they are clogged up with ash anyway. You need to use a poker on the holes to get the ash to drop to the tray as they clog easy with the embers.

The make is a Cobra made here near Toronto. They are not made anymore. Can't do a pic. Just took a look and 6 bricks each had 2 holes each cut to allow the ash to fall. The metal has holes under the brick to line up for the ash tray. And under the ash tray is another layer of steel. Just wondered if anyone else had replaced the bricks without doing the holes. Like I mentioned I don't believe the holes are there for air intake as most times they are clogged up with ash anyway. You need to use a poker on the holes to get the ash to drop to the tray as they clog easy with the embers.
Well where does the air come into the stove?