Ash disposal and fire danger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Ashes emptied from the stove will frequently have live coals within them. Be careful. they are insulated and burried in ash and can stay live for days and even in rare cases, weeks. I place mine in a galvanized trash can with lid. every few weeks I will take that can and dump it into a 50 gallon drum that I use as a burn barrel. After the coals have set there for a coulple weeks I will put them in a plastic bag and set them aside for my next dump visit. I keep the can and barrel covered and the bag tied up because wet ashes are very heavy and a real pain in the butt. I have also taken old bags of ash that had been sitting around for months and simply spread them into the thicket next to my driveway...I was told this would inhibit weeds and vines but so far I can't tell a difference.

Just thought I would mention it.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.