Are reflector shields any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marsar

Aug 3, 2017
Mn
Hi I have a fireplace in a cottage that is seasonal in northern wisconsin wanting to get any extra heat we csn aside from space heaters. Looked into putting woodstove insert in fireplace but cost prohibitive due to small 4 inch flue opening per chimney sweep. He suggested a heat reflector shield for $200 in back to reflect 40% more hest in cottage v. Up chimney. Does anyone have familiarity with these &do they really help? Also any other reasonable ideas for added heat are appreciated. I am looking into a hydronic 240v baseboard heater installation also. Thank you

Hi I have a fireplace in a cottage that is seasonal in northern wisconsin wanting to get any extra heat we csn aside from space heaters. Looked into putting woodstove insert in fireplace but cost prohibitive due to small 4 inch flue opening per chimney sweep. He suggested a heat reflector shield for $200 in back to reflect 40% more hest in cottage v. Up chimney. Does anyone have familiarity with these &do they really help? Also any other reasonable ideas for added heat are appreciated. I am looking into a hydronic 240v baseboard heater installation also. Thank you
Dont waste your money it may gain a little but 40% is absurd. And i would get another opinion chances are the small damper is not a big deal it is very common.

Dont waste your money it may gain a little but 40% is absurd. And i would get another opinion chances are the small damper is not a big deal it is very common.

I can actually believe the 40% claim. Because open fireplaces heat very little. And 40% of "very little" isn't much. So, yeah, prolly not worth $200.

Reactions: bholler
I can actually believe the 40% claim. Because open fireplaces heat very little. And 40% of "very little" isn't much. So, yeah, prolly not worth $200.
You may be right

I was told 3500 to blast open the flue opening to make a woodstove Ss liner fit.

I was told 3500 to blast open the flue opening to make a woodstove Ss liner fit.
3500 just to open it up or 3500 for a complete job?

If this is just a matter of opening up the damper area, how good are you with an angle grinder?

If you don't care what fuel or energy you are using there are lots of options. My first thought would be a pellet stove. You should be able to either direct vent the pellet stove or run it up the chimney. You could also put the stove in a different location and run insulated stainless up through the roof, and keep the fireplace for looking at.

Without stove
How about the liner? Is that included? It still sounds pretty high for an install even with the liner though i would get another quote

If you don't care what fuel or energy you are using there are lots of options. My first thought would be a pellet stove. You should be able to either direct vent the pellet stove or run it up the chimney. You could also put the stove in a different location and run insulated stainless up through the roof, and keep the fireplace for looking at.
Thanks I'll look Into that option

Yeah it sounds really high
Agreed. Get some more quotes. Unless there are serious issues the liner installation should cost a lot less. Go to www.csia.org and enter your zipcode to find certified sweeps in the area that can open up the damper area, install a liner and connect the stove.