Are envi blocks better on allergies/asthma?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

magillaguerilla

Jan 13, 2018
Long Island, NY
Bought Jøtul 550 recently. Good stove decent heat using dried kiln wood for first season. Only issue is allergies and Asthma flaring up. Just a question to any who may know do Envi blocks seem to be easier on these conditions as opposed to the kiln wood? Just a long shot I know these conditions and stoves don’t always get along. Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question. Try some out and let us know if it helps.

Reactions: magillaguerilla
Bought Jøtul 550 recently. Good stove decent heat using dried kiln wood for first season. Only issue is allergies and Asthma flaring up. Just a question to any who may know do Envi blocks seem to be easier on these conditions as opposed to the kiln wood? Just a long shot I know these conditions and stoves don’t always get along. Thanks for any input.

If you're talking about the smoke/exhaust from them, probably = better.
If you're talking about handling them & (fine) wood dust bothers you, can = worse.
PM me for more personal info.

An educated guess says that yes they would be. As long as they are like the ones I used. They stayed solid the whole time and did not really break apart or make a mess without actually trying to break them apart.

Also a lot of the time allergies are caused by the pollen that is released from the tree and settles into the wood and I would think that compressed logs would have most of the pollen sealed into them essentially.

Some people are allergic to the needles more then the pollen but that should not be an issue with either one during burning season.

Also another thing to think about is the type of wood you are burning vs what is in the compressed logs and what you are allergic to.

I can see one of the plants where they make a certain brand of log from my house and they use almost exclusively pine and fir. I am mostly allergic to cedar and a little bit to maple so i could run those logs all over me and probably be fine.

As far as if smoke is a trigger for your asthma I don’t think you will notice a difference.

Reactions: magillaguerilla
An educated guess says that yes they would be. As long as they are like the ones I used. They stayed solid the whole time and did not really break apart or make a mess without actually trying to break them apart.

Also a lot of the time allergies are caused by the pollen that is released from the tree and settles into the wood and I would think that compressed logs would have most of the pollen sealed into them essentially.

Some people are allergic to the needles more then the pollen but that should not be an issue with either one during burning season.

Also another thing to think about is the type of wood you are burning vs what is in the compressed logs and what you are allergic to.

I can see one of the plants where they make a certain brand of log from my house and they use almost exclusively pine and fir. I am mostly allergic to cedar and a little bit to maple so i could run those logs all over me and probably be fine.

As far as if smoke is a trigger for your asthma I don’t think you will notice a difference.

Not sure if it’s the smoke that bothers me. When room cranking and blowers are on it irritates my chest. But other day I unzipped tarp where I store the wood and inhaled a few shavings and that irritated me a little as well. Will see how it goes.