Approx how long to smoke a whole 7 lb Prime cut Brisket half point and half flat @ 275 Degs F ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Just got a new GMG Prime Plus 2.0 and a 7lb Brisket. The butcher took an Approx 14 lb Brisket out of the back and cut off some of the point end on the left and cut off some of the flat end off the right side so I have a 7 lb Prime cut whole brisket. I have seen on the web it is approx 30-60 minutes per lb but the translates to 3.5 to 7 hours which is a big difference! In this example the cook was started at 8:11 AM The inside temp and the thickest part which is the point side should be about 195 - 205 degrees F.
Waiting for meat temp to be 165 to wrap it
See screen shot of App below. So far the 165 internal temp at the thickest part was reached at 1:23 pm so 4:12 (4 hours 12 minutes) Then we wrapped it in 2 layers of the butcher paper.
Does anyone have experience with doing this? What would you say? Also Fat side up?
Here is what I just got including the RackT system and the SideBurn infrared side burner.
https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/grills/prime-2/ledge-prime-2/
Also do you wrap in Butcher Paper at 150 Degs F?
IMG_3596.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3602.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

IMG_3745.jpeg

IMG_3744.png

IMG_3639.png

Last edited:
I could give you a number it wouldn’t mean much. Here is my graph of a corned beef whole brisket ( nitrate free) that I pulled at like 200.

I wanted it a bit firm. It was about 12#. 4 hours. I’d wrap closer to 165. But I don’t recall if I wrapped the corned beef.

Approx how long to smoke a whole 7 lb Prime cut Brisket half point and half flat @ 275 Degs F ?

Decent YouTube channel. I get why he prefers hotter with the kamado smokers.

Hello
So in this case at 6:07 PM it was up to 203
Degrees F inside the Brisket from turning the smoker down to 250 Degrees for a slow cook that will hold the juices in the double wrapped butcher paper so we took it out for an hour of final rest in an air conditioned room and then warmed a little in the microwave before eating. The entire cook was 9:57 or almost 10 hours but with the hour rest and hour preparation the total is 12 hours for this prime 7 lb piece.
Thanks everyone for all your input and knowledge and experience!

IMG_3759.png

IMG_3760.jpeg

Last edited:
Show us some slices once it’s cut!
Perfect - It cuts like butter! We even got a good smoke ring! Goes good with home made corn bread, cole slaw and some baked beans with some Chardonnay . :)

IMG_3761.jpeg

IMG_3762.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks fantastic, always remember too especially with brisket that you can let it rest for a long time. I always try and have it finish pretty early and just put it in a cooler with a lot of towels that I don't use anymore and let it rest for up to 4 hours.

Reactions: Don2222
That looks incredible!

If your local stores carry it, try this on it. It’s the closest I’ve found to what I remember from Texas. Brisket is near $10/lb up here. It’s no longer a cheap cut.