Anyone Running a Blaze King on a Shorter Chimney? (14-15 feet)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Samsquanch

Mar 2, 2019
Alberta
Hey all,

I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading our VC Dutchwest 2461 to either an Ashford 30 or a PE T5, and was wondering if anyone has any input on running a BK on a chimney that is a tad on the short side ( I think they recommend 16' minimum). The current setup is between 14 and 15 feet straight up, with a double wall connector into Class A pipe. I know the Pacific energy stoves are easy breathers and would be a safe bet for us, but the Ashford might be tempting if the draft is adequate.

The draft is a touch weak for the current Dutchwest which makes it underperform in all conditions, especially in the shoulder seasons. I considered adding chimney height, but the stove is located near an exterior wall where the roof-line is pretty low, and adding more class A pipe will start to look pretty goofy from the street (It already looks a bit goofy!). The house is a 1200 sq ft, 1970s bungalow with mediocre insulation, located in central Alberta, Canada.

Long time lurker, first time poster, so thank you for several years of great information! Any input is appreciated.

For many years the princess model was specified for a 12’ chimney. Now it’s 15’ like the other models. I am running a 12’ chimney above my princess in a relatively warm climate. The ashford always required a 15’ chimney.

The t5 is a great noncat choice too. You won’t be able to buy it soon as it’s just too dirty for the upcoming regs.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
My BK King has been runnin 9 years on 14-15 feet with no issues. My hearthsone was not drawing well, and I added a 2' section. That made considerable difference. It was 14 before the addition. I think you may have to try it and see what happens.

The t5 is a great noncat choice too. You won’t be able to buy it soon as it’s just too dirty for the upcoming regs.

I was thinking that too, but its listed on the PE site now as meeting the 2020 requirements which is interesting. I wonder if they made any major changes, or if its just a tweak to the minimum burn rate.

I was thinking that too, but its listed on the PE site now as meeting the 2020 requirements which is interesting. I wonder if they made any major changes, or if its just a tweak to the minimum burn rate.

You know they changed something big, the PE line had always been a relatively high emissions stove. I hope they didn't screw up the range of burn rates by raising the idle.

Last edited:
I'll preface this by saying I'm not making any sort of recommendation here, only relaying my situation.

I run an Ashford 30 on a chimney that is 13' 6" from floor to cap. I have had no problems with draft, and the stove runs surprisingly great. But I also have never burned this stove in temps over about 35F.

Add the pipe to extend your chimney. Yes it may look a bit odd from the outside -- remember your inside when burning so who cares. Initially you will find it odd.... but then grow accustomed to it. Think if you painted your house purple, it would look odd for the area but its your choice, not theirs.

Aim for best performance from the heating device, that is what is safe, energy saving and most desirable from your time inside. If it looks that bad to affect the value when you want to sell, then you remove the 3' extension at that time and problem solved.

So you only have like 11 feet of chimney system? Any bends?

Yes - two 45s in the connector pipe. I think I am running the worst setup I've read about on here. We'll see what happens this spring when the weather warms up. We ordinarily would not burn above 40F temps anyway.

I ran mine on 13 feet for a couple of days and had a bit of smoke roll out on reloads then added four feet and made a big difference... and that's 17 feet straight up. Unfortunately, I still have a bit of smoke smell on low burn rates.

Last edited:
We ordinarily would not burn above 40F temps anyway.

I am amazed that so many people say this. We heat with wood anytime that we need heat. It's often warmer outside than inside, mid 60s, and I'll light a fire because.... we want some heat. Good news is that draft strength is not noticeably different between 40 and 60 for me.

I sure like the looks of the 30 box but my chimney is 12' so I like seeing the data points from other short chimney people.

I am amazed that so many people say this. We heat with wood anytime that we need heat. It's often warmer outside than inside, mid 60s, and I'll light a fire because.... we want some heat. Good news is that draft strength is not noticeably different between 40 and 60 for me.

I sure like the looks of the 30 box but my chimney is 12' so I like seeing the data points from other short chimney people.

I should qualify that a bit more. With our old Schrader, it was not practical to burn at warmer temps. Too much heat and wasted wood (and effort!). For me the cost/benefit was in favor of burning propane under those circumstances.

This Ashford may change that - just haven't had a chance to try it in warmer weather yet. But if my chimney doesn't function well at that point, it's not a big loss and I'll have all summer to rectify it.

Reactions: Highbeam
There is already an update for sale, but just in Montreal for the moment. It will be in all stores eventually. The stove is already EPA certified and listed as the Alderlea T5 LE. PE stoves usually are ok with a shorter chimney.
You're an enthusiast. Not many people want to keep burning once outdoor temps get milder and often are glad for the wood burning season to end. For us there is often enough solar gain to preclude the need. We usually stop burning when temps get over 45-50. Cheaper and less labor intensive alternatives exist.

Last edited:
I have a different stove , I’m almost 2’ shorter than recommended minimum height , because chimney is at corner of builders extension and would look really goofy with an extra 3’ . Try the stove and see how it performs you can always add a section if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Ashford here but I am running a BK Princess on 13ft of pipe straight up with no issues...

Reactions: ShawnLiNY
There is already an update for sale, but just in Montreal for the moment. It will be in all stores eventually. The stove is already EPA certified and listed as the Alderlea T5 LE. PE stoves usually are ok with a shorter chimney.

You're an enthusiast. Not many people want to keep burning once outdoor temps get milder and often are glad for the wood burning season to end. For us there is often enough solar gain to preclude the need. We usually stop burning when temps get over 45-50. Cheaper and less labor intensive alternatives exist.
Father time is catching up with me after all of these years of heating with wood only and I am looking to cut down on my wood consumption and will be installing a propane stove over the summer to attain this goal....I am ready!