Anyone recognize me???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burgertm

Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
I received this stove recently with no information.

Does anyone recognize this unit or know anything about it? It was well rusted with old hardware, I wire-brushed it and repainted it.

Just curious...if anyone has seen one.

Thanks,
Tuddy

Attachments

• img119.jpg
    img119.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 939
  • img120.jpg
    img120.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 874
  • img121.jpg
    img121.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 783
yes, i've seen one, i believe it's an old danish stove, perhaps jotul.

Any pros or cons that you know of? Planning on heating a 625 sqf. insulated garage.

Ohh boy, who has that can opener for this can of worms.
I will start with this.
If its unapproved, then i its illeagle
Wood stoves are typically illeagle in garages, attached one any way, because of the potiential danger of gas fumes and paints. If its a structure away from the home, then the stove simply needs to be approved by UL or Warnek Hersey or the like to be a leagle install.
You will find a tag on the back or bottem if its a approved stove.

If the garage burns down and you dont care about insurance money, then install it. If the garage is part of the house, then forget it. Dont go there.
Craig, impressive ID :)

It's just for a detached garage, no tags of any sort anywhere. Should I beware?

Thanks for the info everyone! Stay tuned....I'm now going to consult my ins. agent.

Thanks again,
Tuddy

MountainStoveGuy said:
Ohh boy, who has that can opener for this can of worms.
I will start with this.
If its unapproved, then i its illeagle

Craig, impressive ID :)

I am a fountain of useless knowledge.....
BTW, the Morso 1125 was a great stove - that thing really cranked out and was very efficient. That design with a large radiant surface in front like that....it really kicks out the jams.

The original was popular in matte black or green enamel.

Great! Hopefully my ins. agant gives me the green light, or....it will become my favorite boat anchor!

Reminds me of the garage that burned down in Charlestown RI. The owner had a detached garage and was working on his two clasic mustnags. It was a bit chilly out there ,so he fired up his stove.. Got it going decent and starts cleanning of car parts with carberator cleaner, His wife calls him into the house to answer the phone, While on the phone he heard the first of a few explosions. One exxplosion blew out all his window and many of the neighbors within 500 ft. Then there was another explosion, probably the gas tank of one of the mustangs
The garge fire ball was so intense it melted off his siding of his home, some 20 feet away. By the time the fire dept arrived,, all they could do was to hose down his house to save it
Burning debris ended up in neightors yards a couple hunderd feet away. All that was left was the foundation and a the outlines of what used to be clasic mustangs.
Till this day the garage has never been rebuilt. I don't know the guy but I think the insurance company played hardball and only paid out enough to repair the home.

Insurance companies can be that way. No one can make them pay out of a non permitted illegally installed stove

NFPA211 says No wood burning appliance shald installed in a residential garage, IT does not make anny exceptions for whether it is attached or depached that is a forbidden location,,

As I remember don't most gasoline tools have a venting system in their gas delivery system? so fumes can excape. Its one thing to have a closed combustion furnace but a wood stove has open combustion, open air inlets, people open the door to feed wood. Code even governs the location of such furnaces in garages.

All I can say it tick tick tick it may never ignight into an explosion, but the danger is there tick tick tick , do you feel lucky today tick tick tick

As for the insurance agent givving you the big green light. Better get that in writting he authorized a wood stove installation in an illegal location.

He is in no position to grant a permit or issue a certificate of compliance. Should a large payout be needed, might as well store that paper in the garage. It will be useless

I have a customer with one of those. The castings are scarily thin. Hers has a city scene cast into the large radiant surface. IT's neat looking but I really try to get her to switch it out on a yearly basis.

correct the paper would be worthless the underwriters make the claim decisions. That's why I said it might as well be stored in the garage

So excuse my ignorance but I planned on installing a woodstove in my to-be-built shop. I have spent many many hours working in my last garage welding and cleaning parts all the while standing very near a NG fired hot water heater with a pilot light. I know that the hot water heater is elevated from the ground (18"?)to be above most of the typical fumes but I can not understand why one is allowed to have an open flamed water heater in their garage but not a woodstove. My modern NG furnace was also in the garage and it sucked room air in for combustion.

The listed arguments against a woodstove are the same as for a water heater right?

I think that any attached garage where a car is stored is a no-no according to all national codes.

As to the reasons, these are many - and, yes, the older codes did allow certain appliances raised up off the floor, but I think the newer ones do not.

So I think the water heater is a current no-no also - Hopefully Elk will confirm this.

Some of it doesn't really make sense - for instance, an electric heater with red-hot elements would surely seem to be able to set off gasoline fumes! But the codes address these things in total - that is, what a stupid person might do (if I can say it that way).

So, as mentioned before, I think the best bet is to both check with building official and insurance company.

Highbeam said:
So excuse my ignorance but I planned on installing a woodstove in my to-be-built shop. I have spent many many hours working in my last garage welding and cleaning parts all the while standing very near a NG fired hot water heater with a pilot light. I know that the hot water heater is elevated from the ground (18"?)to be above most of the typical fumes but I can not understand why one is allowed to have an open flamed water heater in their garage but not a woodstove. My modern NG furnace was also in the garage and it sucked room air in for combustion.

The listed arguments against a woodstove are the same as for a water heater right?

Wrong!!! The arguement (borrowed from Elk in another thread) is simply that current codes require any appliance in a garage to have SEALED outside air sources, as well as protection from car impacts such as cast lally colums etc.

The reason wood stoves are more hazardous than say an NG hot water heater is that hot water heaters have very controlled flames that don't get out of place. A woodstove can and will throw sparks and embers out occasionally while loading, produces hot ashes with embers that need to be removed, etc. Then there is a greater risk of some non-intelligent person (remember that codes are written so as to allow stupid people to reproduce) throwing a non appropriate fuel item into them....

Also note that as pointed out earlier, insurance co's use underwriters, who are the ones that actually set the rules. Your agent might tell you something is OK, but its just his opinion unless it's signed by the actual underwriters, who tend to be much fussier. If the agent gives wrong info, you might be able to sue the agent when the underwriter refuses to pay up, but that can get real difficult.

As a side note, I'm sure you've seen the "UL" label on all sorts of electrical and other appliances, including wood stoves. The UL stands for "UNDERWRITERS LABORATORY" and is a private voluntary testing association that was started by a bunch of INSURANCE companies to set uniform standards about what things were safe to cover in an effort to reduce their losses. NO manufacturer of a product *has* to get a UL label, but from a practical standpoint, but it is virtually mandatory because insurance companies are down right nasty about not wanting to cover a loss caused by a product that isn't listed if there are alternatives that are.

Gooserider

elkimmeg said:
... All I can say it tick tick tick it may never ignight into an explosion, but the danger is there tick tick tick , do you feel lucky today tick tick tick

As for the insurance agent givving you the big green light. Better get that in writting he authorized a wood stove installation in an illegal location.

He is in no position to grant a permit or issue a certificate of compliance. Should a large payout be needed, might as well store that paper in the garage. It will be useless

Hey Elk, I love your new writing style. You've gone from seriously crotchety but informative inspection dude that really fanned the flames, to entertaining and informative inspection dude whose points come through first and foremost without singeing people's facial hair. ;o)

Take the doors and legs off. Clean it out really well and put a nice cushion in it. Fixed up, it should make a good cat house or small doghouse.

BeGreen said:
Take the doors and legs off. Clean it out really well and put a nice cushion in it. Fixed up, it should make a good cat house or small doghouse.

If it is going to be a cat house then ya gotta paint it red.

Oh, you meant real cats. Never mind.

Webmaster said:
BTW, the Morso 1125 was a great stove - that thing really cranked out and was very efficient. That design with a large radiant surface in front like that....it really kicks out the jams.

The original was popular in matte black or green enamel.

Damn
They used to make them in enamel?
My 3610 would look bad ass in Green enamel.

A friend of my dad had a big green Jotul (long stove) in green enamel, a memory of my childhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.