Anyone move heat to second story with a bathroom fan & a duct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

william344

Aug 4, 2018
Woodinville WA
Hi - I am pretty new to burning (put a Lopi insert in last winter) and love love love it! But the problem is that it just heats the first story of my house. My stairway is sort of off to the side and down a long hall away from the room with the fireplace.

I was thinking about putting a duct in an (interior) wall and putting a bathroom fan in the wall/duct to blow air to the 2nd story.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Attachments

• Anyone move heat to second story with a bathroom fan & a duct?
    IMG_20180219_171415.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 135
Its easier to move colder denser air towards the stove (cold air return) then to move ambient warmer air from the stove to a colder spot, 75deg air will feel colder when coming out of the fan duct, but if you move the cold air and set up a thermal circulation then the warm air will fill in the colder air that left.

Reactions: william344
Well mine has 3 speeds and on high its a little loud but on medium its not bad at all. Mine runs all year long. Its physically located in a closet in the basement.

I just use one of these
Anyone move heat to second story with a bathroom fan & a duct?
at the doorway to my stove room blowing cold air on low into the stove room. This helps push the heated air out. I also have my ceiling fan on medium or high (high works best) in reverse mode (winter mode). Sometimes i'll run the furnance on fan on which also helps push/circulate.

Mostly though, low speed high volume of cold air into the stove room will help the most in getting that heat out of the stove room. It also keeps the stove room from becoming a sauna. I've seen 90 degrees in my stove room before...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use one of these View attachment 228552 at the doorway to my stove room blowing cold air on low into the stove room. This helps push the heated air out. I also have my ceiling fan on medium or high (high works best) in reverse mode (winter mode). Sometimes i'll run the furnance on fan on which also helps push/circulate.

Mostly though, low speed high volume of cold air into the stove room will help the most in getting that heat out of the stove room. It also keeps the stove room from becoming a sauna. I've seen 90 degrees in my stove room before...

I used one of these my first year. I then added the duct fan my second year but still use the fan as well. The duct fan pulling cold air from upstairs directly down to my stove room was a huge improvement. Just my experience.

Reactions: william344