Anyone make their own wood shakes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I have been wanting to make shakes for many years now, but have not had the time to do it. Does/has anyone here do/done it?

I've seen some videos of it being done, it seems more tedious then difficult, white cedar, not the eastern red crap.

I used to do summer camp as a kid and young teen, at a museum that focused primarily on trades, tools, and machinery of the 17th - 19th centuries. We would make them there each summer, it being just one of many things that seemed normal when I was a kid, but strange when I look back on it now. I can't imagine even talking my kids into an activity like that now.

We would split them with a froe and a mallet. They made us make our own mallets and toolboxes, now that I remember. Then we'd sit on a horse with a toggle clamp, with our feet applying pressure to the clamp, and bring each shake to final thickness and shape with a draw knife. I think they used the shakes in maintaining an old log cabin and several equipment sheds, that the museum had on its property.

I enjoyed the draw knife work much more than the splitting, maybe foreshadowing how much of my future life would be dedicated to splitting wood.

I've considered making some out of clear sections of the softwoods we have on the property. I have a froe, but the splitter will be an easier choice. Home Despot in my area is selling a bundle of second clear "Bar Harbor" white cedar shingles for $75. I'm pretty sure we bought them for less than $25/bundle in 2019.

We bought cedar shakes for the chicken coop and siding maybe 10 years ago for $5-7 a bundle. Now they are $100+. I used some for sidin on a friend's house and he loved them. He decided to cover the back wall with them as well, but hired another guy to do it. He did it in a few hours and left. I saw it when I visited again and it was not right. You could see the wall between the shakes, so it was really not right.

We bought cedar shakes for the chicken coop and siding maybe 10 years ago for $5-7 a bundle. Now they are $100+.
I use them to make roofs for equipment I'm forced to leave outside. Light frame of 5/4x3 cedar rafters, 1x2 pine purlins, and cedar shakes. A 6' x 3' roof is light enough that I lift it off with on hand. A bungee can be added between rafters and equipment, if left in a high-wind area, but most of mine are just gravity-held. Frame has cleats added to hook onto or set upon equipment with which they're used.

Last one I built was probably 5+ years ago, shake price wasn't too bad then, but haven't checked since. Can try to find (or take) a photo later, if anyone is interested.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I use them to make roofs for equipment I'm forced to leave outside. Light frame of 5/4x3 cedar rafters, 1x2 pine purlins, and cedar shakes. A 6' x 3' roof is light enough that I lift it off with on hand. A bungee can be added between rafters and equipment, if left in a high-wind area, but most of mine are just gravity-held. Frame has cleats added to hook onto or set upon equipment with which they're used.

Last one I built was probably 5+ years ago, shake price wasn't too bad then, but haven't checked since. Can try to find (or take) a photo later, if anyone is interested.
Great idea

Great idea
Thanks. Necessity is the mother of invention. I've found that equipment under a roof is nearly as good as equipment kept indoors. Having walls on a shed might be nice, but the roof is really doing 99% of what's' needed to keep sun, rain, and snow off the goods.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
Great idea
Took me awhile to remember, but here’s some photos of one I’ve had on my 60’ish inch aerator the last several years. Photos taken this morning.

Anyone make their own wood shakes? Anyone make their own wood shakes?