Anyone ever burn like this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
On my BK Parlor I've always loaded north ,south,last night ,I had some unusually long pieces that wouldn't fit in that order. So I loaded the bottom layer east,west,middle north ,south,and top and final east ,west.
My observation this morning after about 14 plus hours was ,about an hour more usable heat,and the uniformity of how even the load burned front to rear,height of ashes was virtually identical front to rear. What gives?

I've tried loading every way known to man with the exception of Tee-Pee.

I've noticed similar results burning like that, here's my theory. My guess is that since some air can move through the load with the n/s row, it creates more turbulence which creates better fuel/air mix with the smoke, which is easier to burn.

With this loading style, I feel like you get the best of both worlds all at the same time. N/S gives you higher output since more of the wood burns faster whereas E/W breaks down more slowly.

I've noticed similar results burning like that, here's my theory. My guess is that since some air can move through the load with the n/s row, it creates more turbulence which creates better fuel/air mix with the smoke, which is easier to burn.

With this loading style, I feel like you get the best of both worlds all at the same time. N/S gives you higher output since more of the wood burns faster whereas E/W breaks down more slowly.

I was somewhat on the same train of thought,your theory makes sense,however this was a first I'm going to try this for the month of February and report back. thanks

I'm an almost exclusive E/W burner due to firebox depth. Sometimes the load causes trouble getting air because the path is blocked. Occasionally I get some short splits that let me do a layer N/S that I load on bottom w/ E/W on top (actually been doing this the last couple days). The lower layer gets plenty of air and burns hot and the E/W burns down well.

For longest burn (which ain't much compared to BK!) E/W. For max heat and startup N/S. For a little of both combined. I wish my firebox was a few inches bigger so I always had the option to front back as needed.

I actually have noticed similar results. I had a bunch of 6-8 inch pieces of oak that were end cuts. Laid them in n/s then did e/w on top of them (castine so I don’t have the biggest firebox). Had a pretty long burn and was impressed with it.

Funny story.

When I first came across my first N/S and E/W discussion on log orientation I had two stoves. One with the back to the north, and one to the east. I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Total jargon for those "in the know". Back to front (N/S) and side-to-side (E/W) would have clarified it for me. ;)

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Funny story.

When I first came across my first N/S and E/W discussion on log orientation I had two stoves. One with the back to the north, and one to the east. I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Total jargon for those "in the know". Back to front (N/S) and side-to-side (E/W) would have clarified it for me. ;)

What if one stove faces east and one stove faces south? ;)

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
On my BK Parlor I've always loaded north ,south,last night ,I had some unusually long pieces that wouldn't fit in that order. So I loaded the bottom layer east,west,middle north ,south,and top and final east ,west.
My observation this morning after about 14 plus hours was ,about an hour more usable heat,and the uniformity of how even the load burned front to rear,height of ashes was virtually identical front to rear. What gives?

Have loaded this way every day since this posting,definitely longer and more even burn. Now I'm going to see if switching and loading bottom layer north /south,middle east /west and top north/south gives the same,just wondering,i'm sold.

Last night I loaded the bottom layer E/W and the top two layers were tightly packed N/S. Started that at 11 last night with single digits, just loaded it up again at 9:30 off a still pretty big coal bed for the amount of time. Room was still 70 and the insert was about 215.

Last night I loaded the bottom layer E/W and the top two layers were tightly packed N/S. Started that at 11 last night with single digits, just loaded it up again at 9:30 off a still pretty big coal bed for the amount of time. Room was still 70 and the insert was about 215.

I have noticed my coal bed is smaller and almost complete uniformity ns/ew.