Anyone added a viewing window on a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
If you have a stove that doesn't have a window, has anyone added one after-market or home made? I keep having to peer through a 1/2" round hole to see what's going on in my Charmaster, and it annoys me! Please advise!

I thought we/you had a thread on this already ........?.............?

I thought you were going to take out the port hole and put in stove glass ?

Dammit you are right. I thought it was buried in the depths of another thread, I thought I'd move it into better view!

Oh well, such is my memory these days. Still can't have too much info!

Dean let me explain how the glass is tested .Imagine s 5 lb steel ball held up waist high and dropped on the glass that's what it takes to pass UL approval

You could actually ruin the integerity of your furnace in cutting in a window and create a situation where it could blow out while you are looking in. There is quite a bit of engineering involved
to get it right and safe

There is another post where someone engineered a wood stove with a gas log set. Somehow it did not blowup and he is still amoung the living punching holes in the cast

a glass window should not be added to a unit unless it was designed to allow it. some stoves on the market (not as many today) had a removable plaque which could be replaced with a glass insert. i would suggest strongly that if this is not available with your unit, do not attempt to do your own. there are structural issues that must be considered. metal properties are different than glass. expansion rates when heated have to be taken into account. its not as simple as firing up the torch and going at it. bottom line, it aint worth compremising the stoves design in order to see the fire, worst case you may get to se the fire a lot more closely than you intend to.

What I was considering involved putting a ceramic plate into an oversized retangular window, held in with a regular stove gasket, so that there's no issus with expansion. But I still don't trust myself unless I can get an approved design or buy on UL listed for such a purpose.

I wouldn't do it,

Butt I would say that is a nice avatar...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.